Chapter 37

Chapter 37

“Shhhh, stop it. You will wake them up…” Fyfa squeezed her eyes closed further. She was dreaming, she had to be, for her body did not want to wake up. Her brain still fuzzy from sleep, her muscles aching from the dash across the country that only stopped the day before. This was not someone come to wake her up, for if they had she may have to show them exactly what she thought of this whole situation, and if she could not. Then Hamish would definitely find out. She was contemplating between hitting him on the back of the head…but that would most definitely hurt her hand. Or teasing him again about her feeling their bairn move within her.

And she soon realised, that her contemplation had in fact brought her closer to the state of being fully awake, than the voices she could still hear whispering close by. Squinting through one eye, she saw two very mischievous looking rascals, trying to creep closer to the pallet that she lay on in the arms of Hamish. She could not work out if Hamish was asleep or not at that very moment, his breathing was even, and his head was buried in the crook of her neck. But she knew he was a light sleeper and he woke at the tiniest movement on her, making sure she was alright, and more than likely waking her in the process. It had been very vexing until she learned to try and stay as still as possible as she slept. That actually meant she felt safer, as she was in the safe cocoon of his arms all night, and knew nothing could harm her without Hamish being able to stop them first.

As two small faces were almost directly in front of her, giggling away, a hand reached out as if to poke her face.

“Ahhhhh!”

Fyfa almost jumped six foot of the ground if she had not been trapped under Hamish. Rose and Ross, however, jumped what seemed that height and screamed, as Hamish practically jumped over her with the top half of his body trying to catch hold of them as they ran away. Ida stuck her head around the curtain, and only shook her head as she saw a giggling Hamish atop her still staring after his cousins. As Ida let the curtain drop without a word said, Fyfa managed to turn onto her back and slapped Hamish upon the shoulder.

He stopped laughing immediately. Glaring down, as he braced himself upon the arm she had slapped, and rubbed it with his free hand. “What was that for?” Her eyebrows drew together, as she was still trying to catch her breath from the fright he had just given her. And before she could stop herself, she slapped his other arm. “Oh, you really are as bad as a bairn sometimes Hamish.” As he seemed to realise what was wrong with her, she could tell he tried to hold back the smirk, but as he could not, her anger only rose further. Something had come over her, she was not a violent person, and yet again she found herself slapping the arm she attacked first. Which only had him roaring with laughter, as he trapped her beneath him. “Hamish. This is not a laughing matter, you scared the living daylights out of me. What would you have done if I had expired from the fear?” Even she seemed to realise just how ridiculous her last sentence was as soon as she uttered it, but she would not let him see such.

She had never seen him this playful before, and it was a sight to behold. She wondered when the last time anyone had seen him like this. He looked his age, if not younger in that moment, as if the cares of the world had been taken from his shoulders, and he was allowing himself some time to be who he was supposed to be. And she found she liked this side of him, not that she would tell him that right now, he needed no encouragement in that department. As she went to scold him once more, his eyes took on a laughing gleam, and he took advantage of her parted lips by claiming them in a deep and prolonged kiss. A warring of tongue, had her folding her arms behind his neck, and wrapping her legs about his hips. Only for him to pull back all too soon, and place tiny, barley there kisses across her forehead, down her cheeks, over her eyelids and on the tip of her nose, all the time chuckling away.