Chapter 30

Chapter 30

As the weather turned slightly warmer, though the rain still fell in pounding sheets. The mud still churned, and many still stayed indoors as much as possible. But the spring was definitely coming, and there had been a few merchants turn up on the Keep doorstep, a sure sign that the solitude of winter was over once more. Fyfa had found Hamish taking control of preparations for a celebration, with the help of Nessia and Isla, ready for the moment a priest arrived at their clan. She was beginning to think the poor man of God was not going to get a moment to rest and recover until Hamish was satisfied that they were fully wed, and God himself had blessed the union.

Fyfa sat on the edge of the large bed, her hands cupping her stomach that had become slightly more pronounced of late. Hamish had showed how much he enjoyed her changing body the night before, but at that moment, she was feeling the full effects of a sleepless night and a morning of emptying her stomach once more. Taking deep breaths, making sure her stomach was calm, she rubbed tiny circles upon her stomach, tiny fluttering movements inside. They were flutters that only she could feel at the moment, and something she had found Hamish had become rather jealous off. Without meaning too, or maybe she did, she always made note ‘innocently’, of course, of the movements.

At that moment he had just left, in a foul mood because of the movement, to report of Camdyn. She had found that she quite enjoyed his little moods, just as he seemed to enjoy when she ended up in a tantrum. Not that she was used to such a thing, but Nessia had assured her that it was all a symptom of the child she carried. Much to Hamish’s amusement.

Reaching for the small cup of water Hamish had slammed down, before turning in a huff to leave, she smiled as she took a sip to wash away the taste in her mouth. Her lips kept twitching, remembering Hamish’s gruff stare as she purposefully made the little sound he know knew meant she was feeling the tiny tickles from inside. She could not wait until the child was stronger and he could feel the life they had made as well…but he did not need to know that she was how she was thinking. Especially when he was stopping her from doing nearly everything. He would not allow her to sweep the floor the other day and she had nearly beaten him with the broom. While she was not a violent person she was definitely willing to show Hamish her wrath. Only she had broken down into tears instead, much to the joy of the male she wished writhing in pain.

But beneath it all, she felt a sense of joy. A joy she could not remember ever feeling. It was almost as if she was valued again, she had a meaning once more to carry on. Not just for herself, but for her child, and that child’s father. They may not love each other, but they had come to respect each other, she was not sure she knew what love was anymore towards the relationships she had to build. But the love for their child filled her heart to bursting already, and she could tell the same was felt by Hamish. He may never feel that way for her, but she did not mind, if he could show that to their child, then their child would want for nothing, and that was all she could want from life.

With one final rub, she stood, and made her way into the solitary kitchen. Grabbed the broom and made sure that Hamish was not waiting in ambush outside, before attacking the dirt that had accumulated since Hamish had last allowed her to sweep. Not that he had done it himself, she could not do it, but apparently neither could he. She may end up beating him with this broom before she gave birth after all.