Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Fyfa could not believe the boldness Hamish had just shown. She had thought he was leaving, had felt bewildering disappointment at the thought, and yet seconds later she found herself in his arms, the cloak he had gifted her, thrown over her. And they were out of her cottage heading towards civilisation. That was when the panic set in.

People would see her.

They would see the state she was in.

They would see her for the first time in months, in the arms of Hamish and looking the worse for wear. What did he think he was doing?

Clutching to his neck. She held when it was obvious he was not going to pause. At the first signs of life ahead of her, she took a moment to take a deep painful breath. The jostling having caused some discomfort. Though she did not want to let Hamish know that. “Hamish,” the words were whisper soft, but as harsh as she could make them, “where are you going? Take me back home. Now.” She could not let anyone see her, it would show her exactly how little they truly cared. Especially with how they had kept their difference through the years since her mother’s death.

Hamish looked down at the top of the fiery head. Her face had hidden in the spot between his neck and shoulder after she had so forcefully told him to take her back. He was not going to do that. No matter what she wanted, she needed to see a healer, or rather he needed her to see a healer. She was going to grumble at him either way. This way he would know she was fine while she grumbled.

“Nessia was in as I passed her cottage earlier. We will stop there, have her check over your injuries. You need some treatment or you may end up unable to walk at all from the state your limp has gotten into in the week I have not seen you.” As he took a breath to continue, her head popped back up, her glare would have pierced him through if that was possible. He paused a step, before continuing on his way. Ignoring the stares they had started to collect as he walked past the first cluster of cottages.

“Hamish, I have had injuries before.” It was his time to glare, remembering all the other times he had seen her in such a state. This was the first time he had felt confident enough to step in. He most definitely was not going to stop now. He watched as a blush took over the rosy glow created by the cold weather. He knew she was embarrassed, had seen her look furtively around from the corner of her eye. He just carried on walking as she nibbled on her bottom lip. The image seemed to linger as she sighed, the mist from their breath mingling. In a quiet voice, one that tore at his heart, she told him the real reason she had not wanted to go and speak to Nessia.

“Hamish, I, well. I cannot afford to see Nessia. I barely have enough coin to feed myself through winter,” he knew that the situation she was in was a lot worse than that. He just did not mention that to her, as it would be impolite to point out he knew all of her problems. “Do you think I would not have already have seen her? If I had the means in which to do so?” She looked so earnest, he could feel the panic practically vibrating through her.