Chapter 47

AN - I hpe everyone is enjoying the story so far...just one little question, I am currently working out the plot for the next book which will be based on one of the twins. But which would you want to have a story first? Anoghus or Artair? I cannot choose between them at the moment...

Any way, here is the next chapter, hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading, Az x

Chapter 47

The pace was relentless. Unforgiving and punishing upon his body, the men with him and the horses. But he could not allow himself to slow the party down. For if they took their time it would be longer before he could find Fyfa before him once more. And even more frightening was that it could mean he never saw her again. If they lost the trail he had barely managed to pick up, then she could be spirited away anywhere in the world, and he would have no idea where to start the search to claim her once more.

The wind and rain had abated slightly over the last few hours, as the horses flew across the boggy terrain as if it proved no obstacle for them. The wind chill and causing skin to numb and freeze, as the water continued to drizzle down from above, it was almost painful against vulnerable skin. The cloak he wore useless now, as it lay as a second skin against his flesh, it was obvious that they needed to stop as some point in order to dry off and warm up. Or they may find themselves in a dire situation, and that would mean he never found Fyfa, it would be his own fault and taking that knowledge was one of the most painful.

As they stopped at what used to be a small stream, but now had turned into a swollen torrent, he dropped and sank slightly into the mud beneath his feet. Jamie trudged his way over as they paused for a moments respite before pressing onwards. He made sure his horse was cared for, before he turned towards the males whose guilt was written plainly across his face, even in the low light of the early evening, and the cloud cover overhead. As much as he was looking to place blame and take out the threat. He knew this male was innocent of any and all part in this, and could not let him take on the blame any longer. “Jamie, you did not know that you had been used to create such a ruse. You cannot take the guilt for this. It is I who should have taken care of my own, and you should take none of that blame from my shoulders.”

Jamie shook his head, his eyes wide and the emotions clear to see, written so clearly. Hamish knew Jamie would never have made a good warrior, but that was not his lot in life, he enjoyed the work he did do. The fact he had even offered to come on this trip meant more to Hamish than Jamie could realise. “Hamish, my wife is the one who started this off. No do not try and take this blame from her. I have warned her from Janetta on numerous occasions. I saw how my wife changed whenever she had spent time with the vile woman, and knew she would cause trouble of some kind. I am just sorry that it is you who has to suffer for the misjudgements of my wife.” Jamie looked out, squinting in the low light over the swollen stream. When he looked back, a new light had over taken the male before Hamish.

“You know this terrain Hamish. In a way that not even the best of trackers does. There are whispers about you…” He trailed off, as if his new found courage had dwindled. Hamish knew of these rumours of course, had never wanted to admit them to himself, let alone others. He had a feeling that his silence on the matter was about to come to a close. “My grandfather used to tell me tales of druid children, moving through time, sent to safety from a terrible danger.” Jamie’s eyes lit up with a fire that spoke of a child remembering their favourite story. “We have no connection to these children by blood, but my grandfather knows of a few around the area. Would tell the tales of their life before they ended up here.” An eagerness appeared in his tone as Jamie leant forward and his voice dropped to the lowest of whispers that could be heard over the torrent of the water behind them.