Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Hamish turned suddenly, taking in the three women walking through from the other room. Isla had the self-assured stance that she always held. Aislinn looked radiant as she rubbed her hands over her small bump, her gaze heading straight for and holding Cam’s. He slapped him on the shoulder, muttered a congratulations, and headed straight for his wife, and directed her straight out of his small cottage. Aislinn only just managing a quick goodbye wave at Fyfa. There was no doubt in Hamish’s mind as to what Cam had on his mind.

But the woman that caught and held his attention was Fyfa. Her cheeks glowing with heat, obviously embarrassed by whatever she had been subjected too. There was a part of him that wanted to storm the barricades and know what she was thinking. Break down the walls of stone she had created, and be with her in her lonely tower. But another section of him recognised, he was in a similar tower. They could see each other, shout across the space, but unless he knocked down his own walls would he ever managed to breach hers?

Someone clearing their throat caught his attention away for the creamy complexion, and instead his gaze landed on Isla’s rather irritated stare. Trying to look contrite, he knew he failed miserably. “After inspection, I declare that you have consummated the hand fasting.” Isla turned her glare upon the other unsuspecting clansmen and women within the room. “So there is no need for anyone else to interrupt them now.” She started corralling them towards the door. And nobody went against Isla. Not unless they were utter fools.

When she reached the door, she turned her gaze back on him. He felt trapped. Like he wanted to squirm. Feeling exactly as he had done when he was five summers old under that exact expression. It was not an expression you forgot quickly…if ever. “You look after that girl Hamish.” A finger jabbed in Fyfa’s direction, before she jabbed it towards him. “Or you will have not only me, but her grandmother, Aislinn and Edine to deal with. Think on that.”

With that the door slammed closed and they were left alone once more. As if the interruption of the entire clan had never happened. He stood in shock. Had that all really just happened? Bemused he shook his head as if to clear it. And was startled into movement by a full blow sound of merriment coming from Fyfa. Looking stunned in her direction. He watched as her skin heated once more, but through amusement this time.

She ended up clutching her stomach. Unable to stand fully. Hamish moved before he even realised where he was going. Catching her just before she collapsed in a heap due to her laughter. Her upper arms in his grasp, he hooked a stool with his foot and pulled it towards them to place her on it. By now she no longer laughing, but the joy of the moment shone in her eyes as she gasped for breath.

Not able to release her straight away, he knelt down before her, so she did not have to look up so far. “Would you care to tell me what has you so amused?” He quirked an eyebrow. Unable to keep his own amusement in, especially in the face of such an open emotion from Fyfa, he felt the corners of her lips tug upwards.

Her smile lit up her face. It was the first time she had been so unguarded. He could feel the chips she was making in her walls. The chips hitting his walls at the same time. Never had he thought it could be like this. There had not been much laughter in his life for a while. And yet it felt so natural with her. A she gasped, she tried speaking several times. And failed miserably.

It took some minutes before she calmed enough to let a coherent sentence free of her still trembling body. Her hand reached out and cupped his cheek. “Isla knows how to put you in your place, does she not?” And she could not help it, once again her laughter sprang free.

She was as shocked as Hamish she thought. And yet, it seemed so natural. Not much excuse to laugh in the life she had been living these last few years. But it was such a nice feeling, and while she had not expected it, she could see herself laughing often in this cottage. Especially if Hamish had that expression often. Maybe she would have to call Isla here often, just to release some of the tension she could feel flowing from her as she let go.

As Hamish started to look concerned, she wondered if he was posturing her mental state. It was only as he moved his hands to cup her ribs that she connected the expression and the meaning. As her breathing slowed, she felt the deep ache the rush of joy had blocked out so far. A small moan escaped her, as she tried to catch her breath once more but this time out of pain. Before she could do more than move to hug her ribs tightly, she found herself upon Hamish’s lap. He sat where she had sat, how it had happened, and so quickly she could not say.

As Hamish pushed her hair back from her face, she saw he truly felt concern for her. He did not see her as a burden, at least not at this moment. “Do you need me to fetch Nessia?” He looked intently at her, as if trying to read her very thoughts. “Do you need any of the concoctions she has already given you? I can get them for you if you wish.” All she could do was shake her head.

She had seen him care for her over the last year. Had seen him try and gain her trust. Leave her items that had helped her survive so far. Now, could she really find it so hard to believe that he would care that she was in pain. And not out of pity, but actually cared for her as a fellow clans member. Her life of value for the first time in what seemed like forever.

“No, Hamish. I will be fine. I have had worse, trust me.” His eyes glowed with the trust he held in her, even if he was unwilling to state it, or even accept it at that moment. At lease she could find herself actually doing more than surviving anymore, or in fact having to fight for any pleasure. She could finally have somewhere she could call her own, with someone who would look out for her wellbeing.

She had to watch herself, make sure she was not getting ahead of herself. It was only the first day they had been together. But with a small shy smile. She knew that this she could live with quite happily. And with a small grimace, she mentally amended, well without the pain.