Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Fyfa did not think she had eaten as much in the last year, than she had this day. It was only as the time drew on, and the drink flowed freely that she started to worry. Thinking back to earlier in the day and the conversation she had had with Isla and Aislinn. The idea of what was to happen fairly terrified her, and yet she knew it must be done, otherwise her father could contest, and if that was the case, he could take her back. No matter how much support Camdyn put behind the match.

As the music started and the dancing began. The noise level rose dramatically.

And the noise increase seemed linked to Fyfa’s fear and trepidation.

She knew there would be pain. Knew it would not be pleasurable. Had heard of too many wedding nights to know that. But it was different knowing it was her, and she would be the one who would have to survive the night.

She knew Hamish would not purposefully hurt her. Not after everything he had already done and proved of his character. But that did not mean that it could not happen as an accident, or if he was not as careful as she feared he would have to be.

She had heard tales of the males having their way with the maids at the keep and the loose woman of the village. But she did not know if Hamish had experience with them or not, and whether it would be better if he had or not. What if she was not good enough? He could say he no longer wanted her, the hand fast would be broken, and she would be back in the run down shack of a home, and most probably dead before next Christmas.

Her breathing increased dramatically. A panic overcoming her mind, and she soon found she could not catch her breath.

Hamish watched as Cam pulled the now visibly pregnant Aislinn around the main room. Trying not to laugh, as Cam had a rather exuberant style, especially now that he had imbibed of quite a lot of his finest liquor. Aislinn on the other hand looked rather disgruntled. He knew Isla had taken the bairn up to the family quarters a little while ago, and he had the feeling Aislinn wanted to be there rather than trying to keep up with Cam.

It was as he leant forward to reach his refilled goblet, that he realised he should probably ask Fyfa to dance. He had never done so at these events. Always preferring to watch and listen, but soak in the enjoyment from others. But it was her hand fasting, so not particularly fair if she wished to dance and could not just because of his aversion to such.

Turning in her direction, in the chair beside him. He immediately came to attention. Catching her arm, her head snapped in his direction as she tried her best to catch her breath. Not knowing what was wrong, he tried not to gain any attention as he leaned closer, and drew her around to face him more fully. “Fyfa, calm yourself. There is no danger here.” He looked around furtively, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. He could not figure out what was wrong.

As she looked at Hamish she felt a centre for the first time since her thoughts had taken her to the place of utter panic. Taking slow deep breaths. Matching them with Hamish’s before she had even realised that she had done so. His steadiness had her trying to use him as an anchor, and a small part of her was terrified that she had grown to need him so much, in such a short space of time.

Taking a deep long breath she manage to think clearly, and licked her lips in preparation to speak. “Sorry.” She watched as Hamish only shook his head, still looking concerned and confused. She scrambled to try and think of something reasonable to say in order for him to bring down his concern. “I just,” she looked around the room once more, an idea taking hold. “The clan, there are more people here than I am used to being around.” She gave a slight shrug, trying to look as unconcerned as possible.

Hamish did not think she was telling him the whole truth, but there was enough truth there that he wanted to make sure she was more comfortable. Looking back out at the clan as they drank, ate and danced, he knew if he left it any longer they would follow. But he could do this now, and both of them may be feel better if he managed to sneak them out now.

Making his decision, he took hold of her hand tightly, and gave a little tug as he pulled her up. He saw the questioning look, but as she stayed quiet he took the edge of the room until reaching the kitchen exit. The maids still hovering with food and drink, pausing and giving knowing smiles as they passed through. From those he could see, he knew they would keep his escape quiet. For all of an hour, a head start it seemed rather than a full escape.

As they reached the outer door, and he pulled it open, a small squeeze on his hand had him looking at Fyfa once more. “Where are we going? Aislinn said we were to stay in the Keep tonight.”

Hamish felt his cheeks flame a little. Knowing a tiny part of him had always wanted whoever he married in his cottage for the first time. “I thought as a way to fool the clan, we should spend the night at my…our cottage. That way they will most probably not find us this night.” He hoped, but knowing the twins he would never say for certain.

Turning once more, as Fyfa fell silent once more, he pulled her out into the snow and closed the clan in the Keep behind them.