Chapter 55

AN - Couldn't sleep so thought I would finish off this chapter and update it for you instead. Hope it lives up to your expectations! Az x

Chapter 55

There was a silence that covered all in the room. Anticipation was high and the air was thick with it. All seemed to be watching either Grant who appeared frozen in position or Hamish who kept his expression neutral. Janetta was shocked into stillness, but as he thought that did not last for long. She was soon the first to break the tense immobility that had enclosed the room. The screech she let forth almost had Hamish releasing her to protect his ears. “How dare you? You filthy whores son. I have no idea what I saw in you, why I wanted you over any other. When you can just use me this way.” Her attention focused on Grant the entire time. Honestly he had no clue whether he spoke the truth or not on her physical state. But it had hit something in Grant, as he had known it would, something Sheena had mentioned earlier. Grant had taken many of the women in his clan, and none had proved fertile when it came to his seed. With others though, they had gone on to produce bountiful families. Just the idea that a bairn could be his, and his attention had been caught.

“Grant, do not believe a word he says. He would lie to God himself if he could guarantee that whore in your lap was safe.” Her words had been meant to hit Grant with a truth, to bring him back into the present, and not in a distant future he had needed for a long time. But it fell on deaf ears. His eyes were locked on Janetta, but his gaze had lowered to her abdomen, a gleam taking over his eyes which made him look possessed by a crazed demon. He licked his cracked lips, as his gaze never wavered, and slowly stood, Fyfa still in his arms and knife still to her throat. She moved with him, it was that or allow the blade to slice into her flesh. Walking down the dais steps carefully, Hamish fully aware that one slip from either could leave him having to watch the life blood flow from the one person who held claim to his heart.

He leaned down and whispered in Janetta’s ear, while at the same time allowing his blade to pierce the pale skin of her neck, allowing a tiny bead of ruby red blood to bead upon the blade tip. The small pain accenting his words perfectly. “Unless you wish for this blade to sever your head from your shoulders, I would suggest you stay quiet. That so called whore, is the woman who currently holds your life in her hands. For anything happens to her, and you will be the one who pays the ultimate price. That I promise you.” He let those quiet words settle in her mind a moment. “So if you do not wish to do as I say, then tell me know and I can get the messy part over and done with.” He put a little extra menace into his last words. No he would never be able to kill a woman in cold blood, but from the stories he had heard of Janetta and the deeds she had completed while a part of this clan. She was no woman, in fact he had to question whether she had been the spawn of the devil himself.

Luckily for him, she may not be particularly intelligent, but she had self-preservation perfected, and she understood he truly meant what he had said. The barest of nods was all he needed before he turned his full attention to the odious male before him. Fyfa was staring directly at him, nothing in her expression showed any hint of fear, no questions in her gaze. No all he could see was confidence and pride, and if he was not mistaken the pride was for him, though why he could not fathom. What had he done except not protect her as he should have? She deserved so much better than he could provide for her. And yet she wanted him still, saw in him the protector he was not, had a confidence in his actions now that he did not feel.