Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Camdyn paced the main hall. Hands thrust deep into his hair, he had lost the leather thong that had held it together at his nape long ago. It was longer than he had expected, a new dawn had appeared and Isla had forced him away. Banned him from the corridor as he had tried, unsuccessfully to break down his chamber door. His eyes dry and irritable, he knew those that had congregated within the hall were either keeping their distance, or eyed his warily as he paced past them once more. None speaking too him, as the last maid who had tried had left the main hall in tears, and had not returned. He was not even sure what he had said to cause such a reaction. His mind was not on those around him, or their thoughts or feelings, but up the stairs to the family quarters, in the chambers that held his wife, as she struggled to bring their bairn into the world.

And he was cursing himself for every moment of pain she was going through.

The silence of the hall was suddenly pierced by a cry. His heart beat wildly, and his body reacted on instinct. His mind registering the need to soothe his child, while his thoughts stayed locked firmly with the labouring woman above. Minna had stood to try and calm a newly awake Catriona. Large tears pooling in her wide eyes, the colour of them sheened to a gem shine by the wetness. As soon as she latched her eyes upon him, she stopped struggling against the hold Minna had upon her, and held her hands out towards him. Her bottom lip quivering, and a sharp cry leaving her as he did not approach quickly enough. The sound a demand for him to move quicker.

Plucking her from Minna, she tried to snuggle her head into his heavily muscled chest, only to moan as it was not the right person to comfort her as she woke. Aislinn being the one that she clung to in a morning, the one she wished to be with in those first few minutes as she woke fully. It seemed he was a poor substitute, but better than Minna at that moment. Leaning down, as Catriona moved her head from side to side against his pectoral, he whispered for her ears only. “I know how you feel. I want to be with your mother at this moment as well.” Finally settling in his arms, a rather disgruntled expression upon her small, but perfect features. He resumed his pacing, Catriona more than happy to spend her time being walked around the room which could distract her a lot more easily than him.

Reports had come intermittently through the night. His men had made a good start towards Grant’s land. The last report had reached them just as dawn was breaking. Aonghus and Artair were splitting the troops as planned, each taking a different route over the border onto grant’s territory. But the twins were wily. They had ideas that had him and Hamish gaping in wonder on the battle field at their antics. The plan was going as expected. They had encountered no ambushes so far. But Grant was the devil incarnate, he would have some defences that was to be expected, only what they were he was sure was sadistic in every which way they were seen.

Letting his mind wander through the plan of action his men were currently taking calmed his mind. Allowing him to think past what he could not change. His youngest messenger, Balfour, only ten and two years was already one of the nimblest and cunning of lads his age. He would become an asset as a scout after the right training. But until he acquired that discipline, his mother had begged Camdyn to make use of the lad, as he was driving her to distraction when confined to their small cottage. He charged through the door, a wide smile upon his face. Cam narrowed his brows. It was too soon for any sort of conclusion to have been reached in the predicament his brothers in arms faced. Shifting an unusually quiet Catriona to his other arm, he watched the lad approach. Practically bouncing on the balls of his feet as he did so.