Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Hamish was having flash backs, to the last time he was preparing to make an offer of marriage. It had been so different. Not an arrangement to save her life, but rather a love match. Or rather he had thought it had been a love match. It seemed his love had not been reciprocated. He instead had found the woman who had professed to love him two weeks previously, before he went as a guard on a trip to the next clan over, had been ‘wooed’ into another man’s arms.

No, in the arms of a boy. Who had dropped her the moment he saw him. And never looked back. She was disgraced, her family sent her away, and he had not heard from her since. He could have still offered for her, but his heart had turned to stone at that moment. And while he had cared for the predicament she was in, the same as he would for any woman, he could not find himself at that moment offering for a woman who had not wanted him. Who had played with his affections.

His real fear, at this moment, was that even if he was not emotionally involved. He could not have another woman put him into that position yet again. Though he had to admit, knowing this was more of a transaction made it easier to complete. And thinking of the words to make her accept did not have to include any sort of emotion. She needed a roof over her head, warmth and food, he could provide that. It may grow into something as they lived together. He would never expect it from her, but it would be nice not to have the crushing loneliness anymore.

Looking out over the snow that covered everything in sight. The weak sunlight, not heating but lighting the world, tiny sparks of light coming from the white blanket. Leaning upon the fence at the back of Nessia’s property, he waited. She had promised to send Fyfa out to him. Had said she would properly attire her in order to keep the chill out. He had seen her boots after Nessia had removed them the night before.

He heard chatter as two of the clanswomen passed by the front of the cottage. Braving the cold in an effort for some interaction with those outside of their own little cottages. As the chatter faded and the slight breeze brought about a chill, he wondered why he had thought meeting outside would be the best place. Though he supposed it would make the affair quicker than it could be.

Straightening slightly as he heard the familiar sound of a door opening, he waited. Air fogging before him as he breathed deeply. The soft shuffle of small feet on the snow, told him she was just around the corner. Her huddled form finally appeared, stopping as she caught sight of him. Before she hobbled, somewhat painfully, or it looked so, towards him. Knowing the pain she was in, and the situation she would return to if he failed, he knew. This was one mission that he would not fail in. This woman was going to be his, whether she knew it at that moment or not.

Fyfa knew the time had come. Whatever her future was to become, this was the moment when it would be decided. Shuffling forward, more out of hesitation than the pain that still radiated throughout her lower limbs, she tried to prolong the time before the conversation was to start. If she prolonged it, then it felt she still had some control over how her life was progressing. While knowing, in fact, she had no control at all.

It was over too soon. Standing before the giant of a man, who even leaning against the fence post behind him, loomed over her. She waited for him to speak. He seemed to look everywhere, but at her. It seemed an age, but could not have been too long, before he let out a visible breath and wiped his hand down his face. Finally meeting her gaze. She had no idea what her expression told him, but he grimaced a little, and shifted uncomfortably.

“Fyfa, I know Nessia has spoken to you. And I have discussed this with Camdyn. As our Laird I wanted his permission, and opinion, before I talked with you.” She had never heard him sound so hesitant or so out of sorts. She could not help the question that popped out unwarranted. “Not my father?” She knew that she should not have mentioned him. But now she had mentioned him, she was curious.

Hamish’s face visibly hardened. “The male who gave you life, has no further say over your future when he acts the way he does. And Camdyn can overrule him, which is why I wanted him on side.” Hamish thought it prudent not to mention it was in fact Cam’s idea. “Fyfa, I know that we do not know each other well on a personal level. But I can provide for you. I know it is not the best situation. And I know I cannot give you what most women want, the whole romance and the…”

Fyfa was listening and could not take much more. It was almost cruel to let him carry on. He really was not in his element at that moment. She cut him off, her hands waving as she spoke. “Hamish! Hamish. I never asked for romance or any things that other women gossip about frequently. All I wanted was to survive. And I know I cannot survive much longer the way I am going.” Fyfa had to say, to say she had never expected a proposal. She had a feeling it was a story she could have a giggle over if she had friends. How the strong warrior had fallen apart before her, so unsure of what he wanted to say.

He stared hard at her. Hoping she was telling the truth. Knowing that she was not wanting what the first girl he would have proposed to had wanted. Made him warm to her further. “Fyfa, I will be plain. For that is all I can be, and it is my nature.” He needed to make sure she was still with him, and waited until she nodded. “Would you consider handfasting me, as a trial, until a priest arrives with the spring, then you can decide if you wish to commit yourself for life?” He knew that if they handfasted it would probably end in marriage, unless something went spectacularly awry.

Fyfa took a moment to look at the white vista before her. It was clean. It was pure. It was lethal. Many could die in its cold hidden depths. And whichever direction she took right now, she felt as if she was stepping off the path. And she was either going to fall into a snow drift and freeze, or find a short cut home. But she knew she could not stay still, or she would end up in the same predicament as if she had chosen the snow drift.

Looking up, she knew Hamish was honest. And that was the most important issue right then. He would not hurt her physically. Taking a deep breath. She nodded. She had stepped off the path. Only time would tell which direction she had taken.