Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Fyfa felt strange. Upon opening her eyes she realised what it was that was different. She was warm. Comfortable. And while still in pain, she also knew that she would not be alone to face it this morning. Her stomach did not ache with emptiness as it had done for so long now, she only realised she had had it, now that it was gone. She was a long way from being better, but after one night, she was not sure she could ever go back to what she lived with. Or how she could live with it if she had to.

After the conversation she had mulled over last night. It seemed her body had decided for her. She had resigned herself to an early death not too long ago. Now her body wanted to live. And her mind was starting to agree. If this was how everyone survived, she would have no issue with that. But with the state of the cottage she lived in, there was no way she could do so. If she had not spent the night here. Seen the love within the family she stayed with, the caring nature, and the food. She couldn’t forget that.

Sitting up from the pallet she had been given, she looked over at the children who slept near her. Nessia had apologised as she had shown her the pallet. Thought it was not comfortable enough, and she could be disturbed by the children. But what Nessia had not understood as she had tried to explain. Was that what she thought of as something below her hospitality standards, was still better that what she would have gone home to had she left at sundown.

With the children still asleep she knew it was still early. But from sounds coming from the store room, she had a feeling Nessia was up already. Slowly and painfully, she made her way, silently, around the sleeping children. Spotting the candle glow coming from the store room as she approached. Taking a hold of the low shelf as she paused just inside the door way, Nessia turned to smile at her. “Fyfa, I am sorry if I woke you. I usually do not sleep much. It comes from the job I am afraid. Been called away at all hours of day and night have taught me to survive on little.” She went back to her pots of herbs.

“You did not disturb me. It was one of the best night’s sleep I have had in a long time. I just wish I had a way to repay you.” She hobbled forward a little more. “Could I help you at all here?” Nessia glanced up sharply. “Yes. You can sit down for me before you fall over. Those feet are not in the best shape and you have to be in pain.” She turned quickly to pull a small stool from a corner and handed it over. A stern stare reminded Fyfa of a mother scolding her child. “Sit.”

She did without argument. This was the woman who could give her items to take away the pain, and also had a knowledge of poisons. She did not want to mess with this woman. Taking hold of the pestle and mortar thrust towards her, she got to work almost straight away at crushing the dried leaves within the bowl. She had no idea what it was, or what it could be used for. But if this was all she could do to help, she was not going to complain.

They were silent for a while. Nessia swapping out the herbs she was crushing for others, as she watched her create concoctions that she couldn’t even get her head around. It was not uncomfortable. In fact, it was nice to know that she had company, but nothing was truly expected of her.

“Have you thought on our conversation?” She knew she would not be able to stay away from this question. But had expected it sooner. Placing the pestle and mortar on the shelf beside her, she intertwined her fingers and stared at them as she thought of how she should respond. “I have. And I really do not know the way from here. I am confused.” Looking up she saw Nessia had pulled up another stool, and was watching her intently. Allowing her to speak. “I have felt on the outside for so long. Do I even deserve to be helped as you wish me to be?” She honestly could not believe that people had wanted to help after being alone in her personal hell for so long.

She watched as Nessia sighed. “Oh, Fyfa. Only you can know how you feel. But just know. There will be many who wish they had not been so caught up in their own problems when they see what you have gone through on your own. I know how I feel about missing it.” Fyfa was already shaking her head. “No, Nessia, it is not anyone’s fault, and I do not want anyone to feel bad about it. In fact, I would rather the clan did not find out about it. I have been on the outside for so long, but I have never wanted that much attention.” Her voice had risen slightly, a panicked quality taking over.

Nessia reached forward and cupped her hands beneath her own. “Fyfa. The clan would care for you, but you have to accept that. And only you can be the one to accept the help we give. Just because we did not see this happen, does not mean we will not try to help now we know.” She cupped her cheek. Patted it, and heaved herself up to walk past her. Fyfa watched as Nessia made her way back through to the other room.

Hamish could not sleep. The twins had both collapsed in the Keeps hall after imbibing in quite a bit of Cam’s quality drink. The only reason Cam had not being there right along with them was Isla ushering him off to his wife with a stern look. Hamish knew he needed to keep a straight head upon his shoulders. So had paced himself throughout the night. Though he had to admit. He had had to have a cup or two of the best drink Cam usually only kept for special occasions. How the twins had managed to convince him to bring it out of wherever he hides it, he had no idea.

Now with both twins passed out on the table top. Snores reverberating around them. Some of the servants having set up their pallets around the edges, finally managing to fall off to sleep now the twins were down. Rather than disturbing them further by opening the main keep door, he made his way silently through to the kitchen. Snagging a left over loaf from the table, he tore off a piece as he opened the side door to the keep. It was a little stale, but would help to soak up the drink and allow him to still think clearly in a few hours when he needed to talk to one of the most stubborn women in the clan.

The air was crisp, the temperature having dropped further since he had made his way into the Keep for evening meal. His breath fogging in front of him as he made his way around the keep to the gate house. “Hamish, is that you?” He held up a hand in welcome to the guard on duty. “Iain, it is I. Anything out in the snow tonight?”

Iain opened the door further allowing Hamish to enter the small room. The breeze making the room frigid, until Iain closed the door behind him and the small hearth got to work again trying to heat the room. Tearing the loaf in half he handed it over to Iain. Giving his thanks, they both sat in the stools. “Nothing out in the god forsaken snow this night. Though I have had many complaints about the cold. I also heard some complaints about the cold, and how the twins got the good drink out of Cam and the rest of us couldn’t use it to warm ourselves.”

Hamish gave a chuckle and clapped him on the shoulder. “I think you can handle those complaints Iain. You are more than capable of that. Otherwise you would not be in the position that allows you to sit in the warmth as those lesser men complain about the cold.” They both chuckled at that, as Iain brought out a jug of mead Hamish settled in for the next few hours. There would be no point in returning to his cottage right now. He was not going to sleep now.

Hamish watched the man before him as they talked. This was Corey’s older brother, and yet the two were so different. Iain would be among the few Hamish would consider his friend. Yet, if news reached him that Corey was never to return from the trip that had him snowed out of MacKay land. He would not bat an eyelash.

Iain was responsible, reliable and someone who would take whatever confidences in him to the grave. Not treating those friendships as he should over the last year. He was trying to make up for that now. With the twins in a deep sleep due to the amount they drunk, Cam making plans for him, it was only Iain who he now had to make his peace with. He only hoped their friendship could be what it was before. And with the ease of their conversation, Hamish wondered if Iain would have taken Cam’s way of thinking soon if he had not come to him of his own free will.

Eating and drinking with a good friends did much for his mood. And by the time dawn broke in muted winter tones over the mountains that surrounded them. He knew he was ready and prepared as he could be for the confrontation he was about to undergo.