Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Fyfa stood in shock as Isla, Aislinn and Edine forced their way past Hamish. Hamish looking just as shocked as she that they actually managed to get around his frame in the doorway. Though Isla could always make Hamish do what she needed to do, making him feel guilty for not doing it earlier. Though she did not have long to stand in astonishment at the sight before her.

Before she knew it, her hand had been taken by Isla and she was being dragged through to the other room. Surrounded by three women, feeling cornered, taking a hesitant step backwards. Fight or flight instinct kicking in. Feeling trapped and not having any idea as to what was actually happening. She stood wide eyed, trying to figure out how she could get out of the room, with three women before her and the injuries and soreness her body held.

It looked like she was in a losing battle. And Hamish could not help her with this one.

Isla would make sure of that.

Just as Isla seemed to be on a mission right now. And she was heading straight for her. A determined look upon her face, and she knew, whatever was going to happen, she had no choice over it.

Another step. Her back coming into solid and unexpected contact with the far wall. She had not realised she had moved so far. But any hope of the large bed coming between her and the three women, predatorily moving towards her, was lost as they finally had her trapped.

She watched as if a frightened animal as they approached. Taking their time, as if they were approaching a spooked horse. She almost laughed as she realised they thought she would bolt. Well, she was resigned to the fact that she was too injured to be able to complete any such action. Taking a deep breath, she allowed herself to step away from the relative safety of her position against the wall. Allowing her to take a little control over the situation.

Before she could do much more, Isla was upon her, taking her hand and pulling her back towards the end of the large bed once more. Allowing her to curl her arms around herself for some comfort, as she watched Edine and Aislinn strip the blood stained sheet from the bed, as her cheeks heated almost as dark as the visible stain. As Isla stood as commander of the room. They allowed her a moment to compose, before Edine sent a small secret smile in her direction, and left carrying the sheet with her.

Mortified at the thought of the clan seeing such and knowing what it meant.

Startled as Aislinn gently tried to release her hand from her waist. “Fyfa.” Her voice gentle and coaxing, trying to calm the roiling turmoil inside of her. “This is all part of it. Remember what we told you yesterday?” Aislinn paused waiting for her to nob before she continued. With a quick glance over her shoulder, she saw Isla looking on with a concerned gaze. “Isla checked you yesterday, and as we said, she will again today.” Finally releasing her hands from her waist, she stared into the carefully peaceful expression before her.

Smiling serenely, Aislinn squeezed the hands she still held within her own. “It will all be over in a moment, I promise. I went through this, Edine went through it…” A smirk directed over her shoulder, “Even Isla went through it, a long, long time ago.” Fyfa released an almost silent gasp. Waiting for Isla’s reaction.

Shocked once more at the smile that crept across the weathered face behind her. Stunned immobile as Isla bustled forward, batting Aislinn away. “Enough woman, you are making me feel old.” Then she turned the full strength of her personality on Fyfa. Constant movement, Fyfa had no chance against her. In moments she was stood naked before both women, as Isla checked to make sure she had in fact consummated the hand fasting.

Isla, satisfied with her findings, went to wash up in the small bowl on top of one of the large chests. Fyfa had not seen it earlier, and assumed it must have been brought in while she was focusing on how cornered she felt. Unsure as to how to act, she was grateful for Aislinn passing back her clothing, and helping her to redress, even in her condition. She tried to stop her help, but eventually gave in as she realised she would not win against the Lady of the Keep. The Lady who had been in training under Isla.

A small smile was returned. And gratitude led to a moment of utter respect for the Lady. And Isla. Neither had said a word about the visible injuries. Aislinn only helping to rewrap her ribs before her dress was donned once more. Her feet a terrible state, but at least they had not wished to remove those bindings for the inspection. She had tried to use the mixture Nessia had given her sparingly. Used to making anything she had last as long as physically possible. And removing the bindings would have meant she would have to use more than she would want to at this point. She did not know how long it would have to last.

Letting her gaze fall on the two women as they found the spare sheets and made the bed once more. She felt a small tear finally fall, silently making its way down her cheek. Quickly dashing it away before anyone noticed, but allowing her to see what she had done by distancing herself. Hamish had brought her back to the edge of the circle once more. She might be a little closer than before, but she was now unsure if she wanted to be here or not, as she saw exactly what had been missing so far.

Ever since her mother died, and her father took to the drink.

Hamish wanted everyone out. There had not been so many people within this cottage since his parents had died. And he was starting to feel closed in. And when he was feeling in such a way then he started becoming extremely grumpy. And with that he knew he would start becoming short with people.

There were too many people.

While the majority had left the main room and the snow drift in front of the cottage. Taking the soiled sheet with them. A little part of him rankled at the thought of everyone knowing what they had done together in the privacy of their own cottage. That part of the ceremony he had never found acceptable. What happened in privacy should stay there. What was this part any more than the nosy clan trying to take something private as their own?

The majority of these clans men and women had forgotten Fyfa’s existence until their hand fasting. And now the women were acting concerned, and excited, while really only looking for some good gossip to make them the more popular in the village. And the males. Well he was sure the majority of them where here due to the fact that he had sworn against women from the incident so long ago now.

And now?

Now he found himself waiting for his clan to leave him and his hand fast bride in peace.

The morning so far, before they had been so rudely interrupted, had actually been soothing. While simple, and nothing extraordinary for most, he knew for the two of them, the normal, was most assuredly peculiar. But he had found he had liked it. And rather not liked the interruption to a peace and tranquillity he had not felt in a very long time.