Chapter 53

Chapter 53

It was that worst war meeting he had ever had the displeasure of having to attend. Kendrick had been a boiling cauldron throughout the entire meeting. His eyes trying to spear through Sheena as she had participated without any preamble. Marking out on the precious parchment he had mapped out what he knew of the Keep upon the different entrances and exits. The ones that were secret to all those except those of a certain position in the clan. Hamish and the twins, along with Aislinn and Isla were the only ones Cam had gifted with the knowledge of those tunnels. Knowing that they could help those within escape in the event of a breach. To know these tunnels was to know the enemies ultimate weakness.

The fact Sheena knew these tunnels caused questions to spring to mind about her role in the clan. But then again, from what he had seen so far, he was sure she was capable of finding this knowledge out for herself.

Unfortunately, Kendrick had not been able to see the value in allowing her to speak in the meeting. As soon as a conclusion had been stumbled upon, he had stormed out of Hamish’s tent almost ripping the tough fabric as he tore through it. Hamish had to agree on one level, bringing a woman into this, and who had a family member held hostage in the very Keep they planned to invade could be a very bad idea. Only, Hamish had been taught from a young age to use all the resources you could. Find what you have, what is known, and even look into the truth behind the stories told, for the tiniest fleeting comment could hold the answer to victory.

The twins had started to realise that they were both vying for Sheena’s attention and a little bristling tension had come between them. He knew that they would be coming against each other with fists very soon. But they were smart enough to wait until after this operation, as they would not survive if Hamish had to come between them. As soon as they had battled it out, they would be fine with each other once more, but until then, they would be trying to make sure they looked the better man, while acting underhanded and trying to sabotage the other. When children Hamish had watched a similar situation when they had bristled at each other. Aonghus had once held Artair down in a patch of nettles, the rash had lasted days, and poor Artair had had to feel Isla’s hand on the back of his head more than once, as she kept him with her and he tried not to itch.

Artair on the other hand was the more cunning of the two, he had set up situations in which Aonghus would walk into, either causing him to feel Isla’s wrath, or making him the laughing stock of whoever saw him. This, however, he could see as been their worst split ever, but if they followed true they would be closer than ever when they finally fought it out.

As for her part, Sheena did not notice the twins at all, spending her entire energy in pointing out weakness, sentries, weaponry. And the known details of the plan if the clan was attacked. Hamish’s mind was humming with information, emotions and thoughts of Fyfa and how she fared with the devil himself. As everyone left to prepare for their part in the plan, he had a moment to spare. A peaceful, quiet moment, in which he had time to himself. And the first time in his life, he realised he did not want to be alone. He wanted one person with him, and she was currently out of his grasp.