Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Fyfa was shocked awake by the loud pounding upon the chamber door. Her heart beat thudding in her ears as she looked around wildly, realising she was still in the Keep in the room Hamish had brought her too. A shuffling sound brought her gaze to Isla who heaved herself out of a chair by the merrily crackling hearth. She had not realised how late it had become, and did not recall even feeling tired, but the darkness was only broken by the dancing flames on the opposite side of the room.

Isla faded in and out of her line of vision as she headed into the shadows cast in the room, to answer the pounding still shaking the heavy wooden door. Her breath caught, as she tried to calm her heart beat. Only it was extremely difficult, especially with not knowing who or what was on the other side of the barrier. Was it Hamish? Or had he failed, and this was the male who had come to take her away? Shakily pushing herself up into a sitting position she found without thought her hands were cupping and rubbing the small bump that had come awake with her. Trying to comfort both herself and the bairn within her.

Her gaze locked on the shadow she knew was the doorway, as Isla reached out to unbar the door. Her mind a haze of dread and the panic of what was to come was trying to take over. She could not let it, not until she knew of the situation she had to face. And whether friend of foe stood the other side of that door.

Only Isla did not open the door fully. Only a small crack of light was cast from the torches in the corridor through into the room. Highlighting the weathered face of Isla as she whispered in quick burst with whoever was on the other side. She was still unsure, but surely if it had been someone who wished to steal her away, or do her harm, Isla would have slammed the door shut once more?

Intently watching, her stomach fluttered as she saw Isla step away from the door to open it further. And utter relief flew throughout her as Hamish stepped through the door. Though his expression was not one to in still any hope. Determined, she would have called it. About what…she could not tell.

Isla hesitated on the threshold, sending a glance back towards her. “I will prepare you some victuals.” Isla looked over to Hamish, and they seemed to have a silent moment of communication. “You know where it will be.” As Hamish nodded, Fyfa was all the more confused and as Isla left closing the door behind her, she was none the wiser as to what situation she would face upon leaving this room. This was her current safe haven. She would have said that was wherever Hamish was only hours before…now…well, now she did not know what Hamish was thinking or if he had struck a deal to send her away, and be free of her once and for all.

He quickly crossed the expanse between them. Gripping her hands firmly, he insistently, though gently, helped her to her feet. Before gathering all of the items that were hers within the room. Her cloak held over his arm as he waited, rather impatiently, for her to place her feet in the fine boots Hamish had acquired for her as a hand fasting gift. It had been the only thing he could say which had made her agree to accept them.

As soon as she straightened once more, she found him before her. As she would have stepped back in order to better assess the situation, Hamish took that from her as he threw the cloak around her shoulders. Clasping it tightly, and pulling the hood over her distinctively bright, and currently tangled hair. Without a word he grasped her hand once more, and pulled her to the door. Her shock was only just starting to wear off, and the questions she could feel bubbling within her were only moments from tripping off of her tongue.

Yet, she held herself back. For the moment. Sensing the tenseness within Hamish, which put her on alert. Knowing he would explain, if and when he could. And now was obviously not that time, or place. Cracking the door once more, he looked out into the hallway, and when he had deemed it safe or so she presumed that was what he was doing. He pulled her out and pulled her towards the wall, dragging her behind him as they headed through the shadows to the set of stairs used only by those who served within the Keep.