Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Hamish had found where Fyfa’s uncut wood was at the side of the shamble she called a cottage. Only to find that she was correct. The wood was under a pile of snow looking as if it had not been touched all winter. With how wet the logs were he could not see any fire being made from them. No wonder her living space was so cold. She probably had not had a fire after what wood she had in the house had run out. And he could not fix anything with this.

He also could not see her having any of the items he would need to add to fix up some of the major problems he had seen inside. No way was he stopping just at the door now that he had managed to get a foot inside. She just did not realise yet what he had planned. Making his way back through the snow, he felt this was the most he’d moved in one day since the snow set in. Most days the men trained, did their time on watch and spent the rest of their time in the great hall or with their families. As Hamish had no family, he spent his time in the great hall or looking out for Fyfa. Although he had to admit, since the snows he had dropped his attention from Fyfa. And things had started to slip.

It was almost as if, when he had withdrawn from his friends, Fyfa had withdrawn at the same time. Meaning he should have realised the signs. But was so much wrapped up with his own feelings he had missed what everyone else had. Only Camdyn had tried to pull him out of it, the fight today, joining him on watch two days ago. Or the one he knew he could never call Cam out for, whenever he was in the main hall Cam and Aislinn would drop tiny Catriona into his lap, claiming they were needed elsewhere. The bairn always made him smile. He knew what they were up too, and he could not fault them, they were his friends. He would do anything for them. And they were just proving the same in return.

Reaching his cottage once more he made his way over to the tools he had. Finding most of the things he needed, he had to think about how he was going to get the wood he needed over to her home. Logistics’ were his speciality, but this was stumping him.

Looking out of the open door he judged it to be around two hours before the snow was to hit them again. He had good instincts on things such as this. So trusting himself, he brought everything he would need outside to lean against his wall. Double checking once he had completed the task, he pulled his door closed and pulled a handful of items into his arms.

A whistle rent the air. Making sure not to drop what he already heard, he turned towards the sound he recognised. “Hamish, you need some help?” He was shaking his head, but knew the men before him would not take that as an answer. “Artair, Aonghus. It’s fine really. Shouldn’t you be making merry in the main hall? Taking your fill of the ale and practicing your charm on the ladies?” He had known the twins, as most referred to them as, since they were children. Knew they were inseparable, but he had also seen them with the ladies since they were old enough to charm them into anything they had wanted.

And it was because of that fact that he was suspicious of why they were out in the village. In the cold. When all the clans free women were in the main hall. He had a feeling that Cam had his hand in this. “We were,” they both sauntered up his path to lean on opposite sides of his door frame. If he was not used to them by now he would have cried witchcraft of some kind. Only a tiny scar really showed which was which. “But we noticed you were missing.”

Artair took over from Aonghus, “As we have noticed you doing a lot recently.” A pointed look in his direction. Before Aonghus took over once more. “Did you really think we would allow one of our oldest friends pull away, like you are? You know how we fight in the field. You think we are going to be any different with our friends?” The twins shared a solemn look, a nod before turning back towards him. Only Hamish could see the mischief dancing in the duplicated set of eyes. “Did you hit your head Hamish? Is that why you think we would let you do this to yourself?” Both yet again nodded to each other. Ignoring him completely and having their own insular conversation.