Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Hamish could not remember ever feeling this way before. His mind was afloat with the knowledge that he was not alone, and would never be alone again. Holding tightly to the small, delicate hand, which belonged to the woman who had caused this feeling, he knew he could never let go. Not fully, even if he was not physically near her, she would always be a part of him, eternally twined with him. Before God and their clan. She was his.

He was not going to let Grant anywhere near her. Her father may have sold his daughter for his own gains. But Hamish had managed to steal her away first. Bound as he was to her now, there was nothing that could tear them away from each other. Not now. Never.

With the sky still overcast, the drizzle slowly soaking through their clothing, and the wind picking up in a harsh flurry. He could not think of a more perfect day. For the moment they were lost in the world. Those hunting them could not know where they were yet, and they had time. Even if it was fleeting, to forget about the issues they faced, and concentrate on themselves.

As they rounded to corner of the path leading back to his aunt’s, he tugged upon the hand he held, catching Fyfa off guard. With a startled cry, her back fell against his chest, and he tightened his arms around her waist, on hand rubbing small soothing circles upon the small bump that cradled their growing child. As her head fell slightly sideways, arching her neck and giving him clearer access, he could not resist the offer she presented. Leaning down as she melted against him, giving tiny kisses up the smooth column of her neck, the skin silky smooth. Finally finding the hollow behind her eyes, causing a small, rapturous giggle to escape her, he lips curving into a smile of their own volition. The roaring wind nearly whipped her words away from him, but with his face so lose to hers, he managed to make out the words, even if it took him a few minutes to take in their meaning.

“Do you believe in Fate, Hamish?” There was a haunted quality in her voice he could not comprehend. But he thought about her question. Not wanting to tell her any falsehoods. Making sure his lips moved against her ear, so she could hear and believe in every word he said. “Aye, I believe I do now. I did not used to. Not before you. But know I can see a path my life has travelled and the one that is being made ahead of us. And I think I do believe fate brought us together. It may not make all the decisions, but it gives us what we need when we need it. As the mere mortals we have to choose whether to use that or not.”

It was obvious to her that Hamish had thought about his answer, had probably, knowing him, taken some time before to think about such things, and could have answered her question weeks ago with the same answer. But that was not the reason she had asked. A tiny part of her was feeling insecure, and it was growing into a ball of nervous butterflies as her eyes were transfixed on the sight before her. One that Hamish had not yet seen, as he was too busy trying to chew her ear off. Well, the experience was not unpleasant, in fact she found herself shivering in the pleasure of it, but what she knew was to come had placed her in a state of uncertainty. And she no longer had the capacity to work through and cope with that feeling rationally.

She felt her body tense as Hamish tightened his grip upon her. It was then he seemed to realise that something had caught her attention, and it was not him. She heard the annoyed huff he gave as he peered in the direction she was still staring. And he turned to stone around her. She had known this would not be easy for him. It was horrendous for her, but he had been through so much for her, and now this was being added to what he already had to cope with. Why was life being so unfair to them? This was why she had asked about fate. Could fate have truly sent that woman to his aunt’s door the day after their appearance in the small seaside village? She did not think anyone even knew of their presence yet, as they had seen no one all morning. She felt like she was going to fall apart. But she had to be strong, she could not let this come between them, not now. Not when everything was going so well between both her and Hamish.

She could feel Hamish’s harsh breath against her throat, stirring the small loose hairs at the back of her neck. The arms around her waist, she could feel tremble slightly under her hands. She did not know what to do for the best in this situation and was glad when Hamish took the control out of her hands. “What in the name of all that is holy, is she doing here?” She could hear the utter fury in his voice, knowing exactly how he was feeling as she had heard the full tale since being with Hamish. This woman was a fool, giving up Hamish had to be the worst decision she had made, but it did mean that Fyfa had the chance at happiness she had never expected. She felt conflicted over whether she should dislike this woman, or whether she should in fact be thanking her for the life and future she would have.

As Hamish frees her from his embrace, she wanted to weep, feeling she had lost him. Grabbing for his hand, as he brushed past her, he gaze locked on the woman before them.

Hamish was focused, intent on getting to her, and finding out what she was doing here. What she was doing entering his safe place, disrupting his peaceful happy time? Spoiling the wonderful day that had started so well. She would pay for this. The tension in his arm had him pausing and swinging back, only to freeze upon the expression he found on Fyfa’s face. Making him pause, and truly think for the first time since he had seen her. Reaching out with his free hand, he cupped Fyfa’s cheek. Whatever was happening, nothing came before his family. And Fyfa was his family. Stepping closer, he could see the tears collecting in the corners of her eyes, but managing to hang on to the lashes. Not quite spilling over. Leaning his forehead against hers, he closed his eyes. “I am sorry Fyfa. I do not know what came over me.” She trembled as he pulled her into the warm circle of his arms. As he tried to show her just how important, and loved she was.

She snuggled closer to him, she cheek resting against his solid heartbeat, and she could not help the small sigh of relief that she released. He was still with her. He had not left her to join with her. Barely above a whisper, “Thank you. There is no need to apologise. But thank you.”

Hamish felt guilty over the words he caught. Kissing the top of her head, the laid his cheek upon the soft silky curls. “There is no need to thank me. I promise, Fyfa, you are my wife, and the mother of my bairn. There is no possible situation that could ever pull us apart. I promise.” He waited until he felt her nod, and looked over his shoulder to see his aunt stood in the frame of her door, talking with the woman who had caused him to close himself off to everyone and everything he had known. Only coming back to himself upon helping Fyfa. And he would be eternally grateful to the woman in his arms for helping him see the colours of the world once more.

Pulling away from her slightly, and waiting until she looked up to meet his gaze, he could still see the uncertainty within her. She had been through so much, in such a short space of time. Leaning down, he placed a soft kiss upon her lips, feeling her sink into him once more. Pulling away he made sure she saw the truth in his eyes as he spoke. “I want you by my side. I am sorry that my emotions over took me. But with you here I am sane once more. Will you stand with me as we deal with this as the partnership we are.”

Her heart beat faster. Almost bursting with the love she felt for this strong, and tender man. She knew he did not see himself the way she saw him. That he did not think himself worthy of what he had, but the truth was it was she who was not worthy. She was the one who had to thank God watch day for what he had given her, and the help he had sent her, if only she had listened and acted upon his signs sooner.

She could not believe him fully, did not think she could ever be good enough for the man who held her so surely in his arms. But if he asked, then how could she deny? Not sure that she could voice her ascension to his request, she could only nod, and watch as a proud, though serious expression over took his face. Taking a hold of her hand, their fingers entwined. He led the way towards the confrontation that was about to happen. She could feel it in her bones. Though how it was going to happen, what would be said, and how it would end? Well that was still to be seen.