Chapter 26

AN - Sorry, I ended up with a little bit of writers block half way through this chapter, and with a lot of things going off at work...well lets just say here is the next chapter. I wish I could just write full time, it would save me from a lot of stress. Any way I will stop rambling now...enjoy and thanks for reading! Az x

Chapter 26

Three full moons had been and gone. March had miserably made its way into their lives. With the snow competing against the rain, and very little sunlight to be found at all. The darkness seemed to empower every corner the hearth light could not touch. The snow was gradually reducing. The rain making everything slippery with ice, and glittering in the candle light from the cracks in the shutters over the windows of the cottages. The world falling into an almost perpetual, soggy, cold, twilight. It was useless trying to get anywhere unless you were prepared to be frozen and soaked by the time you arrived there.

The small cottage that contained Hamish and Fyfa in comfortable surroundings on those cold, wet, wretched days had contained the norm for the newly wed. There had been small fights over inconsequential placements of items, and annoyance when one was tired and cold upon return. Nothing out of the ordinary at all for an average couple learning to live in the confines of the same spaces. There had also been times where there had been comfortable silence. Little gestures to comfort or help, things unnoticed when happening, but in the darkest part of the night, and in moments when they were alone with their own thoughts. They dwelt upon those thoughts unable to figure out what the other had meant with their touches, and not realising that they had returned them, causing the other to think on them.

Hamish had found that Cam had started to use him less and less for duty. At first he had not really noticed, using the time instead to make sure that Fyfa had settled in comfortably, and allowing her to feel safe enough to creep out of the shell she had surrounded herself within. There were times he had seen her carefree, laughter pouring free, until she realised what was happening and stopped abruptly seemingly embarrassed at her outbursts. He had found himself enchanted at times, and at others a little irritable at the fact Cam was not allowing him to take his full responsibility with the clan. And he was ashamed to say that because he was unused to having anyone else around, Fyfa most probably thought the issue was her. Where the truth he could not yet voice was that she brought him out into the light once more.

Always having a hot meal ready for his return on the wet, windy, glacial days he did make it to guard duty. Had found it comforting and welcoming in a way he had forgotten, and had come now to hunger for throughout the day while he was away, to have someone so alike and yet so challenging and thought provoking. It was a wonder, and a trial to live with, and work out his place within the relationship they were now trying to build together. He was of the thought that she was feeling out in the same way as he. He tried to show her that he would not hurt her, and knew the involuntary flinches she occasionally had could never go away, and that it was not him she feared, but the memories she held.

As he watched her flit quickly and quietly around the room, as she thought he still slept, he realised with a strange warmth within, that he really liked these quiet private moments. They were something that belong only to them and nothing could take that away from them. He took a simple kind of pleasure just watching her move. Forgetting something and giving a tiny sigh before she turned back to pick it up. That was when he saw the red mark he had left from the night before upon her creamy flesh. A little kick of approval ran through him that if anyone saw it they would know she was his. Yet, jealousy quickly overtook that emotion. Where it was positioned was not where he wanted any other male looking…ever.