Chapter 4

LAUREN'S POV

"I don't know Mani! It's like Taylor just met her yesterday and they're already best friends!" I exasperated over the phone.

"Your sister moves faster than you do girl." She laughed.

"Ugh don't remind me." I pouted.

"She'll probably get Y/N's number before you do, too." Mani started cracking up.

"Shut up." I grumbled.

After tryouts yesterday, Taylor came back talking all about Y/N. Everything she did to Jazzy or said to Taylor. It was endearing because Taylor looks up to Y/N so much but I couldn't help but be a little pissed that Taylor is better friends with Y/N than I am and I've known her forever now.

"Well I have to get ready now, text me when you get to school." Mani's voice broke me out my thoughts.

"Alright, bye." I hung up. I fell back on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Why does my sister get to become friends with my crush when my crush doesn't give me the time of day?

"Hey Lauren can I get a ride today? Chris already left." Taylor knocked on my door.

"Yeah I'm almost ready." I said. I gathered all my stuff and met Taylor at the car.

"Can you text Mani and tell her I'll be at the school in like five minutes?" I asked Taylor. She nodded and took my phone, texting Normani. When we pulled into the parking lot, Y/N and Dinah were standing by Y/N's truck.

Wow Y/N looks really good. She wore dark blue jeans with a black t-shirt. When I parked, Taylor jumped out the car and made her way to Y/N. I saw them conversing amongst each other. Y/N had a hint of a smile on her face. Why does this happen to me.

Normani walked up and threw her arm over my shoulder. I looked up to see her smiling shyly at someone with a blush on her face. I followed her gaze to see an equally shy Dinah, who now bashfully looked away. "Ooohhh." I smirk.

Normani pushes me away and walks faster. I laugh and wrap my arms around her waist. We walk around for a little bit until the bell rang. I was among the first few people to enter class. After I settled down, Y/N was walking into the room.

She still had the bruise under her jaw, and it seemed a little darker. I made sure not to stare so she wouldn't get mad. Where does she kept getting all these bruises? And the cut on her back?

"I can tell you're worrying about me. Don't." Y/N's cold voice sounded.

"How did you?" I asked.

"You're staring at me again. Especially at the bruise. Your eyes give it away what you're thinking." How the fuck.

"My eyes?" I ask. Y/N nods.

"So please, stop staring at it and don't worry about me." Y/N looked down at the desk.

"I can't help it." I mumble to myself but Y/N clearly heard it. She decided not to comment though.

"Okay everyone we're going to be doing a project. You'll read a book and do a report on it. The catch? You'll have partners and a book that I pick." Everyone groaned. Mr. Brady went through most of the class when he called out Y/N's name, causing her to life her head.

"Y/N, since you don't like sitting next to your partner, you'll be working with her. You guys get Native Son by Richard White." He sarcastically smiled.

I don't really know how I was expecting Y/N to act, but it wasn't what I expected. She only nodded and lowered her head once again. "Okay you have the rest of class to get started." I looked to see we had about half an hour.