Chapter 50

Four Years Later

Y/N'S POV

"With the first draft in the WNBA, the Chicago Sky takes the number one spot and chooses MVP, Y/N Y/LN!" The audience cheered as I stood up and made my way to the podium on the stage. I looked out at the crowd and waved at some fans, a huge smile taking over the expanse of my face.

By the time I made it to the podium, the announcer and the general manager of the team were standing there. The general manager was holding my jersey with my last name on it, my lucky number displayed proudly on the back. I shook hands with both men before taking the light blue and white jersey that was proffered to me.

The two stood on either side of me as I held up the jersey. Several cameramen and press members were taking pictures of the moment. For the last part before I had to go off stage, the announcer shook my hand again before speaking into the microphone. "You are now a member of the Chicago Sky. Welcome to the team."

The audience cheered more as the general manager and I made our way off the stage, me smiling and waving as we did so. When we were finally off the stage and the draft continued on, the general manger turned to me. "We will send you the pictures and everything over email, and I will make sure that the rest of your uniform and everything is sent to your house. I presume you will be moving to Chicago sometime soon?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yes I will. Thank you for everything, Mr. Stephens, really." I gave him a genuine smile. "Thanks for seeing my potential and allowing me to show you that I deserve to play on this team." Mr. Stephens returned my smile as he patted my back.

"You don't have to thank me, kid. I knew from the start that you deserved to be here, and everyone has their off days so that was nothing. Your heart and passion for the game is what got you here, not just your talent. We are grateful that you play for this team now. But I have a few questions." His face turned serious causing me to gulp and also lose my smile. "You are planning on playing overseas during the offseason, correct?"

"Yeah I planned on starting during this offseason actually." I nodded. "I know that you guys have a few workouts here and there but I kind of figured that playing throughout the whole summer would be more beneficial for me."

"Great to hear actually! And you know the starting pay and everything for players who haven't played their first season in the WNBA yet?" Mr. Stephens patted my back once again.

"Yes, I did my research." I cracked a laugh. The general manager lifted his mouth in a smile once again before shaking my hand. He told me to join my family as he had to stay and watch the draft for the other players that the team has picked. I made my way through the building to find my family.

My mom and my siblings were here, as well as the in-laws and my nephews. Loren was the first to spot me making my way towards them. His face broke out in a grin and he brought me into a hug once I was close enough. I received endless amounts of congratulations and hugs all around.

"Do you guys want to go eat?" I asked. Everyone looked between each other and shrugged their shoulders, some nodding in agreement. We decided that we would go eat and head back to my place to hang out for a while. We went to a nice restaurant and got a table towards the back so people wouldn't hear us being loud as we joked.

Jack was now ten and Henry had just turned five meaning that it was a lot easier dealing with the two of them in public. I love those kids but they could be a pain when they were younger. Throughout the whole process of graduating high school and everything, I told my family the truth of what happened after they left and what went on behind closed doors. My mom became emotional and so did everyone else, but my mom only blamed herself on all of this. Greg was still rotting in prison as my family and I were now closer than ever.