Chapter 38

Y/N'S POV

"Alright ladies, this game decides if we go play for regionals or not." I started off in the huddle. "Work hard, work smart. And last but not least, play basketball like we know how to. Let's show them what we're made of. Miami on me, Miami on three. One, two, three..."

"Miami!" Everyone shouts. The team starts running out of the hallway and around the court so we could begin our warmups.

I take my time, leaving myself in the hallway alone. Once I take a couple deep breaths I bounce on my feet a little bit before jogging out and onto the court. The crowd got progressively louder.

A ball was passed to me once I caught up with the team so I could lead the warmups. We started with our passing drill, then moved onto defensive slides, then went on to layups, three-on-two, free throws, and if we had time we would shoot around.

Warmups were a blur for me until the buzzer sounded, sending us to our respected benches. I took off my warmup shirt and threw it behind the bench. My nerves kicked in as the announcer started talking. We would do the National Anthem before we started so we all lined up in a row and waited for the singer to come out.

The other team lined up on the other side of the court, sizing our team up as we did the same. I didn't even realize the singer had stopped singing until I was being pushed back to the bench by Dinah and Taylor.

The starters sat down as everyone else lined up as usual, waiting until we were called so they could give us high fives. My mind was a blur as they called Alyssa's name first.

My eyes searched the crowd until they landed on a pair of worried, green eyes. Lauren gave me a reassuring smile and a wave. All around her people started standing up and cheering even louder. I became confused until my brain finally registered that I was the only one left on the bench, my name being called by the announcer.

Missy and the other players looked at me worriedly until I got up and ran down the little makeshift aisle, completing a handshake with the girl at the end of the tunnel.

I ran down and gave the refs each a fist-bump and went to shake the coach of the other team's hand. After that I ran back to the tiny huddle the other starters created, waiting for me.

"Start out in eleven for defense." I wrapped my arms around Dinah and Taylor's shoulders as I got there. "If they're in man, run dribble to Alyssa first, if that doesn't work then run ice to Dinah. If they're in a zone run thirteen. Kick ass on three. One, two, three..."

"Kick ass!"

We all gave each other a high five as we went to the jumping circle. I tucked my jersey into my shorts before the ref came up to both the other team's tallest girl and I.

"Ready?" He asked the other girl. She nodded and glared at me as she did so.

"Are you ready?" He asked me. I also nodded. "Alright here we go. Blue goes this way, white this way." The ref pointed in each direction.

When he placed the ball between us, we both crouched down in position. I pulled my shorts just above my knees and waited for the ref to throw the ball into the air.

Within a couple more seconds the ball was thrown into the air and both of us jumped for it. I grunted in pain once we landed, the other girl hitting my stomach. I looked back to see that Alyssa got the ball so I ran as best as I could back on offense.