Chapter 27

Y/N'S POV

"Y/N come on, you have to go." The closer we got to the entrance of the restaurant the more Lauren had to force me to go.

"No I changed my mind. I don't want to do this anymore." I whined. Lauren shook her head while continuing to drag me into the building.

I don't know what hanged but I just had an uneasy feeling that this wasn't going to go very well. I just gave up eventually and let Lauren take me into the restaurant where we found my mother at a booth by herself. Once she saw us she stood up with a smile.

"I almost thought you wouldn't show up." My mom came up to me to give me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her waist and stepped back.

"Mom, this is my girlfriend, Lauren. Lauren, this is my mother, JoAnn." I motioned between the two once I mentioned their names.

My mom smiled brightly once again before bringing Lauren into a hug as well. Lauren also smiled as she returned the hug. "Oh it's so nice to meet you." Mom said.

"You too." Lauren nodded with a smile.

"Shall we?" I motion to the booth, honestly just wanting to get this over with. Both Lauren and my mother nod while getting into the booth.

Lauren and I sit across from my mom with Lauren on the inside. It's an awkward silence. The green eyed girl next to me places her hand on my thigh and softly squeezes in a reassuring way. I smiled thankfully at her.

"Okay so what did you want to talk about?" I turned to my mom with a raised eyebrow.

"As you already know, I'm sorry Y/N." She started off. "You pretty much know my reasoning for leaving but I wanted to clarify. I was so stressed out to the point where I was literally days away from dying. I had to get out of there and I knew that I wanted to take you but I couldn't."

"Why couldn't you?" I asked.

"In my mind I convinced myself that you would have a better life if you had stability. I didn't have a lot of money so I stayed in a small one room apartment and I didn't want you living like that."

"That doesn't matter, staying with him was the worst thing to happen to me. He went crazy after you left and he took it out on me! Do you really think that's a better life then just moving somewhere else?"

A squeeze on my thigh calmed me down and I practically forgot that Lauren was here with us. The fear that I let the secret spill ran through my mind and I was instantly on alert of the outcomes. Maybe she still wouldn't understand.

"Y/N I don't want you to hate me-"

"I don't hate you. I never have. I don't like the decision you made but that doesn't make me hate you for it. I understand you were hurting, but you have to understand that I was hurting too. Even before you left, I was going through tough shit too." My mother looked down at the table.

"I just want to know why you came back and how you found me." I said. My mom sighed before she looked up again to start speaking.

"I came back because I know I messed up and I just want another chance to be your mother again. As for finding you, what I said was true. I knew I could find you in a basketball court somewhere, it just took a lot of looking." She shrugged.