Chapter 25

"Witches," Clay said, looking at me with a blank look on his face.

"Witches can create a mind link between wolves?" I asked, taken aback by the new piece of information.

"Only very powerful witches."

"That explains how there were already tons of guards ready to capture us when Roger brought us here," I said. "But why would a witch do something like that? Especially for the cause, they're helping them be more successful in kidnapping."

"Witches don't care about why they're doing something. They care more about what they are going to receive in favor. If you have something to offer them that they want, they'll do pretty much anything for you," Nadia said.

"What did they offer the witch that created the mind link for them?" I asked her.

"I don't know," she said quietly.

"We need to find out either how to destroy the mind link as soon as we can, or find the serum that stops us from mind linking," I said to Nadia. "And how long does one shot work for?"

"Twelve hours, typically. I know they keep a supply somewhere down here in a secret room. We would need to find that room first, though," she said. "I know it's in cell room four, but I've never been in that one."

"Let's go look around in there," I said, and we got up, exiting whatever cell room we were currently in. Nadia lead us to a cell room four, and I realized that on each of the four doors hung a number one through four.

Cell room four was the biggest of the four cell rooms. We started looking right away, feeling for cracks in the wall or floor. "How could they have hidden it so well?" I asked, looking around the cell bars.

"I don't know. We have to keep looking," Nadia said. We did, and it was Clay that found the secret room we were looking for.

"Over here!" He said quietly, standing over by the door way. He had closed the door of the cell room and behind it was a keypad. "It looks like we have to type in the code to unlock it," he said. "Any ideas?" He asked, looking at Nadia for an answer. She she shook her head but looked deep in thought.

"It's not going to be some random number, that's for sure. The code's going to be something related to them," she said.

"What if the code is the year that this all started?" I suggested, and Nadia's eyes lit up.

"Either that or maybe the birth date of the leader," she said.

"I think it would be the year this all started. That's always going to stay the same, but leaders can change," Clay said.

Nadia and I both nodded. "That makes sense. But what year did this all start?" I asked.

"1264," Nadia answered immediately, and she punched the numbers into the keypad. A green light flashed and the wall slid aside into the wall next to it. I stared at Nadia, amazed at how she could have known that. She saw me looking at her and smirked. "These people talk and it's not always in secret," she said, answering my question as if she had read my mind. "Come on."

The three of us walked into the room, which was about the size of a ballroom. There were shelves set up throughout the room holding all kinds of things. Guns, knives, potions, serums, and other things that could only be used for torture. "Oh my god," I whispered as Nadia led us back to the where the serums were. They were all sitting in bins with names of what the serum could be used for.