Chapter 23 : The Turndown

It was 2pm in the afternoon. The skies were dead beat blue and the wind kept howling along with distant screams and sudden gunfire. At a few seconds I could hear explosions, others rapid shots. Out there was a death arena with the undead and in here, we were sitting ducks not knowing what to do next.

Me and Mark were brought into the building where Marzia and Ken were locked up. Mark held my hands, comforting me along the way. Wade and Wiishu were already waiting on the front line, with a weapon in their possession. Wade held a huge Magnum while Wiishu had this huge deadly crossbow.

"Why are we brought here? Where's Marzia?" I asked as I searched the area around me. I came across the first door, nothing, second door, nothing, third door, no-

Bang!

A face appeared on the glass panel, red blood slithered across the screen, covering of what seems to be an infected Ken. He was massive, as if his muscles had gotten to the size of a whole football. I could see his flesh dangling underneath the skin layer, his eyes were no longer humanoid.

"Shit, Jack stay back." Mark warned me, grabbing my shoulder to turn me around, "You know that's not Ken anymore don't you?"

Wade came closer, offering me the Magnum, a destructive handgun that could possibly kill three zekes in one blow. He scoffed, motioning his eyes for me to take it. I didn't want to kill anyone but it was best if I prevent more from becoming one of them, especially Mark, I couldn't lose him.

The glass panel was slid open by a click of a button, giving me the widest shot I could take. Would Ken be happier if I ended his life here? Or was he already dead?

I held my breath, aiming down the sights onto the monster clawing at the corner. It's eyes looked at me, showing a glimpse of memories of me being with someone who risked his life for our survival. It growled then chattered its teeth and started onto me but I pulled the trigger, even before it managed to start moving.

---

The body was burnt, outside of the compounds of course, along with other victims that died. It was not a pleasing sight to see. I watched as the smog build up in the air, devouring the foul smell along with it.

I went back down the ladder, coming back to Mark. He rested his back over the bumper of his car, sharpening a knife with another. I walked over to him, sitting down over his side. I knew Mark was a good person, eventhough it felt like he had no heart whatsoever towards death. It kinda already looked normal to him, like he has encountered these types of things countless of times.

"Jack? How do you define clouds?" He asked, looking up into the sky where huge puff white balls rolled over each other, covering the sunlight above us.

I smiled, pointing out to a cloud that almost shaped a figure of two people, "Well, clouds are...clouds are like those smoke bombs you toss in the air and form distinct dreams."

"I'm dreaming of you now Jack." Mark began, giving me a light peck on the lips, ending it with a flirty gaze.

"Shut up...cute Markimoo." I sprawled out, biting my lower lip as he stared blankly at me.

At that moment I felt so lucky. I was so lucky that I've got to meet this adorable guy, eventhough we both started on hard ground. This orange goofy cute man had brought me to life and it was a bonus that he was a Septic too. I couldn't be more thankful than to appreciate what I've stumbled upon and I couldn't agree more, he was something worth finding.

"When we grow old, I want the world to be normal again so that you and me Jack, " he paused, holding my hands and coming closer to connect our foreheads, "you and me could become great fathers."

I blushed, the fact that he wanted kids was a relief to me. I've always wanted to become a dad, well, not in the apocalyptic world of course.

"Are you guys ready? We'll have to do the mission briefing first." Wiishu stated, rolling her eyes over us.

Mark helped me get back up, placing his arm over my shoulders as he giggled, "You're kinda getting muscular Jack, I like that."

"To be honest Mark, you are cute as fuck," I chuckled as I nudged his shoulder, "but you're terrible at flirting."

---

Wiishu led us to this hidden area away from the compound. It wasn't that far but it felt so distant when we arrived there. Wade and his men were waiting in the middle, Marzia was right beside them, strapping up into some gear.

"Mark! Jack!" Marzia yelled as she ran towards us, clamping ourselves together in a trio bond. "I missed you guys so much and Ken, he's...he's-"

She was muffling cries in my chest, unable to form any words out of her mouth.

"It's alright Marzia, the past is in the past." I said as we both parted. She smiled at me, patting my shoulder as a thank you.

"So, what's the plan?" Mark added, coming into the group of men. "Where is this sector zero thing?"

Wade laughed, "You crazy? With all the weapons we have now? You'll get killed in a blink!"

"Then what are we supposed to do?" Mark scowled, darting his hands in the air.

"That's why we're planning Mark. The sector is not located on low ground, it's surrounded with rebels and all those other creatures. In front of it is our main pathway, the Big Ben."

"The Big Ben? I thought that's a huge monument in London." Marzia interrupted.

"We call it the Big Ben for Pete's sake, don't you learn codes in war? It's a huge bridge that connects the mainland and towards sector zero. We'll have to fight our way through, there's no way around." Wade informed, his men were practically nodding all the way.

"How about under?" I asked, sounding like a complete idiot. Wade glanced at me and raised both brows.

"Good idea Jack." Mark whispered into my ear. I flinched at him, whispering back,

"I know, I'm very smart."

Wade lounged over to Wiishu, deciding to figure out another alternative. I could see Wiishu figuring out the success of my thought, it was safer to go under.

"Alright, we'll think about that later. First, we're going to pay the airbase a visit. We'll need all the guns and ammunition we could find. There will be some resistance but we can handle that, you guys ready?"

I looked at Mark as he lifted up a rifle, lock and loading the weapon. He tossed a shotgun towards me, I smiled,

"Let's exhume the world."

****
Now I'm going to be excited, how about you guys?

So thank you guys! If you liked this book, Comment anything down below and punch that star button in da face, like a boss! *share it all around*, wapsh wapsh...
And I thank you readers and I'll see all you dudes...in the next chapter!