Chapter 30 : The Cure

"Argh!" Mark moaned in pain. A bullet went through his upper chest as blood came gushing out of the wound. My eyes widened in fear as I tried to help Mark reach the gate.

I lifted his arm over my shoulder as we both ran towards the entrance. Zekes were piling up against the wall, mauling at the concrete with their hands.

"Come on Mark stay with me now, we're almost there!" I yelled as explosions kept going all around the area.

The skies grew darker and soon rain started pouring down our heads. A heavy blow of wind came passing between the both of us, coldness inflicted upon our very skin.

"F-fuck it hurts so much." Mark said, covering the wound with his hands. He was gritting his teeth, trying to withstand the agony he was in. Behind, I saw a trail of blood that mixed with the puddles of rain. Mark, he was losing too much.

Then, one of them came out, dressed in a white suit that looked similar to the kevlars back in the last sector. He motioned his arm and called our names while shooting at the zekes that tried to get to us.

"Hurry! You don't have much time!" He shouted. He was possibly the one they called Matt.

"C'mon Mark you can do this. Just hold it in." I said as I kept going. Mark's legs were already skidding across the ground as his body went all weak.

As we reached the entrance, Mark was immediately brought onto a stretcher by the other personnel from Sector Zero.

"Are you Matt?" I asked, I could see blonde hair from within the helmet he wore and his brown eyes showed me definite fear as he closed the gate.

"Yeah now let's go, we're losing time. We don't want to waste anymore of it." He replied as I followed up behind him.

From inside, I could hear the bomb that we planted go off. A huge screech of metal bars filled the air accompanied by the destruction of the entire bridge. Victory had fallen directly onto us but it wasn't over yet, for the cure was still on the run.

I made my way towards Mark who breathed in shallow breaths. His hands felt colder than they used to be and blood never stopped painting the stretcher with the color red.

"J-Jack I don't think I c-could make it. If I die, please remember that I'll always l-love you no matter w-what." He said in a croaky voice as he caressed my cheek.

"No don't say that, you're going to live! I don't wanna lose you again." I replied but Mark could only offer a cough.

The whole world felt slower with his words that went out of his mouth. His fragile body was showing me that hope was going to fade away. Please, don't go.

"Mark you're going to make it! I believe you can!"

Soon, Matt ordered us to lay down on the beds that were prepared for us. Mark was on the other one while I laid by his side, the same type of tubes were injected into our bodies. I could feel the pain bite into my skin as Matt stood by the console.

"Jack the blueprint," Matt asked as I pulled out the blueprint from my pocket, "we'll be needing it."

On Mark's half, a monitor showed his pulse rate. It beeped with every inhalation he took. He reached out for my hand as he held it. I could see our bracelets tangle up each other once again, the letter M on the top and the J at the bottom.

"J-Jack, I l-love you, don't forget about me okay?" He said as he smiled at me, "Heh, we've come so far already didn't we?"

"Please Mark you're going to live," I paused, "I love you too Mark."

My eyes were puffy due to the tears that flowed with every second spent. I held our grip tighter until Mark closed his eyes in front of me, the monitor started beeping uncontrollably. My heartbeat went faster, no this can't be...

"No no no no, Mark please don't!" I whispered watching the monitor line plunge down, "Mark!"

Matt had already raised the lever, blue liquid was being transferred into a tube along with our blood. Before even trying to let go, my body went limp and Mark's monitor went into a straight line. The sound echoed throughout the room as bright light illuminated my eyes.

"Mark!"

Then flash...it was too late.

---
To the next chap my laddies!