Chapter 18

The three of them ended on the floor with just a makeshift bed of comforters and pillows.

"Okay lights out!" Romano claps his hands as if automatic pinapatay ang ilaw.

"Ayaw! Takot ko!" Chit shook his head vigourously.

"Bakit?" He curiously asked. Hindi naman sumagot si Chit.

"Okay ganito nalang, explain ko sa iyo kung bakit hindi ka dapat matakot."

He explained the story of three young demi gods of the panay local mountains, Romano explained that these three princes grew instantly from infants to young men. They went to a conquest to find themselves a suitable brides. They fought monsters, underworld gods and other creatures using their heirlooms which is a double edge blade, a magical cloth diaper and a black boat. The brothers confident with their strength would sometimes go on adventures just for the heck of it and find themselves another bride.

Nag enjoy ako sa story, at kahit na natutulog na iyong dalawang bata he continued to tell the whole story for my sake. Actually yang story na yan ay part ng cultural studies nung high school kami pero ngayon ko lang naapreciate.

"And they lived happily ever after."
He winked and smiled at me.

"So how do you like my narration?"
Hmm confident.

"Talagang maliligaya silang magkakapatid, ikaw ba naman magkaroon ng tig dadalaeang asawang magaganda. Typical men, mortal or immortal."

"You knew, it's not real they're..."
Hindi na niya naipagpatuloy ang sasabihin.

""Good night Romano."
I heard him sigh and replied.

"Goodnight Polaris."

All things na inaakala kong natutunan ko this past 3 years ay lumipad lahat sa bintana. Bakit pa siya bumalik dito, okay na siya sa Pilinas di ba? Bakit kailangan niyang guluhin ulit ang utak at puso ko.

Backward slash? hehehe

I spent weeks in the Carmelite seminary and get to observe the community of the nuns. It is very simple and routinary. They wake up at dawn to pray the rosary and sponsor masses. Then pray again for the petitions of people that went to their congregations. Then they will prepare a routinary chores such as gardening, farming, making rosaries, making pastries for sale, feeding homeless todlers or held a community relief operation. Then pray the evening rosary, prayer for the current events, prayer for the petition and personal prayer.

The zen of the routine gives me peace and solidarity. Alam mo yung gigising ka nang maaga because of a purpose. Yung feeling kalmado sa paulit ulit na dasal. Yung excitement mo kapag gumigising ka ng madaling araw para mag linis sa designated area at maramdaman ang malamig na hamog.Feeling ko nasa iba akong dimension and I become a different person. When happiness is a state of mind.

After ng two weeks decided na akong pumasok and then they allowed me to become a novice.

Nobody knew where I was and where I went, I just told my parents I am safe and I'm in the Philippines. I called them always and sent them pictures. Hindi sila naniniwala na nasa Pilipinas ako kasi may Pinetrees sa loob ng seminary.

So I've learned from my parents that Romano is looking for me. Mabuti na yung ganun para maka pag move on ako ng tuluyan. Kahit kailan hinding hindi ako mamahalin ni Romano ng katulad ng pag mamahal ko sa kanya. He could not even love me the same as he loves Corrine.

After a year bago ako mag graduate bilang nobisyada and we were alowed to pursue temporary careers. Gusto kong maging modesta bakit ba? walang pakialaman ng trip. May madre bang pilosopa? But that's just me I can't be perfect kahit pa isa na akong noviciate. Suplada pa din ako sa mga istupidong tao. I hate stupid questions. Wala pa dinnakong panahon sa mga baduy at walang kwentang kausap. Mahilig pa din akong manupalpal at naging malala pa yata ang sarcasm ko. Allthough hindi na ako nambubully tulad ng dati, not that I know of atleast. 

At natuto talaga akong mag pakumbaba. Humility is something you found in simplicity of life. Yung quality na hindi makukuha sa OA na bagong cellphone, Smart TV, internet at computers. Yung way of life na old fashioned like books, landline phones, libraries, typewriters, notebooks and pens. 

I've also learned the being of compassion. Hindi ko alam kung paano e-explain ekwento ko nalang.

Part of my initiation is to live among the dump site temporary settlers. Just think of Payatas and Tondo rolled into one. In which my adoptive family can't afford to pay electricity. Where their toilets were made of election material of a  politician and a makeshift toilet bowls of bamboos. Their only access to clean water is 50 meters away and they have to place it in buckets and carry it all the way back to their house.

The one room house which serves as kitchen, dining, living and sleeping area will be lit by a small kerosine lamp at night. No TV children will tell stories to entertain themselves or go a couple kilometers, para makinood ng sa may lugar na makaka afford ng kuryente at TV. (So that their parents could make more babies hehehe)

I would go help them collect recyclable trash so they can sell them. So we can share the first and only meal of the day.

Author's note: Jenna although a work of my imagination emersed in the slums. The sad truth is that the discription of the dumpsite settlers we're real. Although a foundation where I volunteered has resettled my adoptive family and provided them a sustainable livelihood. There's still many of the families that were stuck in that situation. So please learn how to help. Hindi kailangan financial, you can volunteer to share your skills and talents. Look for NGO's or non profit orgs near you that has similar cause. Be proactive!