3.8 : oni

Carmen walked into her house with a groan, tossing her bookbag somewhere off to the left. She mumbles curses under her breath as she walks into the kitchen and quickly pours herself a glass of chocolate milk, then proceeds to make her way up the stairs when something catches her eye. She slowly backs away from the stairs and glances over into the main room where her entire new pack sat, staring at her.

She lets out an even louder groan and stomps over, plopping herself next to Piers on the couch.

"What's up with you today, brat?" Luke teases, throwing a pillow at her. She doesn't hesitate to launch it back at him full-speed, causing him to flinch and duck away.

"Scott and Stiles wouldn't stop following me around," Carmen explains, "No matter how many times I told them I didn't want to talk about it and that it's over."

"You make it sound like you broke up with them," Rhiannon laughs with a shake of her head. "Speaking of, did you see Isaac today?"

"No," Carmen bit the inside of her cheek nervously, "I don't think he was at school today. But it doesn't matter. I don't want to talk to him anyways."

Casey raises a suspicious eyebrow at her but dismisses her words.

"What are you all doing here anyways?" Carmen mutters.

"We're here to help you get ready, because you," Nina walks over to Carmen and boops her nose, "Have a party to go to tonight."

Carmen raises a questioning eyebrow and looks around the room at all of them. "What? I thought we were going to find a way to . . You know, ruin Scott's pack's lives?"

"That's part of it, my dear." Nina teases with a sinister smirk. "Listen. We don't know everything about these guys, but we know enough, or at least, more than Scott's pack for the time being. We're still missing pieces of the puzzle."

"About who?" Carmen's face scrunches in confusion as she crosses her arms and leans back in her seat.

"The Oni." Nina explains, pacing back and forth. "For whatever reason, they're after Scott's pack. I've seen them before- They aren't regular people . . Their eyes are glowing yellow and they wear masks and cloaks that covered mostly all of their bodies but from what I could see, they were wispy and dark, like . . A spirit, I don't know."

Carmen perked up as a thought crossed her mind. "How do you know all of this? Wouldn't you have to be pretty close to notice all these details?"

"I was," Nina nods and bites her lip, "They cornered me maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, staring at me with those eyes. I thought I was going to die; I've never seen anything like them before. Then, they just walked away. And I don't know how they did it, but the next day, Casey noticed this behind my ear."

Nina leans in closer to me and gathers her hair into a side ponytail, exposing a mark left behind her ear. A black ink-like symbol showed in a backwards 5.

"What do you think it means?" Carmen shifts uneasily in her seat, worry evident in her expression and body language.

"I don't know," Nina sighs, "But I don't think they want to hurt us . ."

"Why's that?" Piers finally speaks up, cocking his head at her. 

"Those things looked dead at me," Nina elaborates passionately, "They could have killed me then and there. But they didn't, they just kept moving, like they were looking for something. Someone."

The room goes silent before Carmen clears her throat, sitting up. "So . . What does all of this have to do with a party?"

"Your friends are throwing it at Derek's place tonight; A blacklight party." Luke intervenes, "And if we think the Oni are going after Scott's pack, they might show up at the party tonight."