5.7 : reconciliation

"Isaac, slow down!" Carmen exclaimed as Isaac grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her through the crowded hallways, bustling with students who were ready to go home.

"You seriously haven't looked at who made it on the team yet!?" He shouted over everyone, voice laced in disbelief. "You had all day!"

"I was nervous! What if I didn't make it?" Carmen insisted, to which she earned a loud scoff from him.

"You told me you had the lowest time, what are you so scared of?" He continued, pushing past more people. Carmen shot back a snarky response but it was lost in the midst of the chatter surrounding them.

He finally came to a halt once they reached the girls' locker room and quickly pivoted to face her, a childish grin plastered to his face. He raised his arm behind him and pointed to the white piece of paper that held the names of everyone who'd made it in.

"Go, look." Isaac muttered, looking to her with pure admiration in his eyes. "And when you read your name, I promise, I'll never stop telling you I told you so."

Carmen rolled her eyes and playfully pushed his face away, sauntering past him and coming face to face with the paper. She shut her eyes and inhaled deeply.

This is what she had spent all day dreading. School was over, and if she was being honest with herself, she wasn't sure if she ever would have looked at it if not for Isaac pestering her about it. Now it was time to face her fears.

She opened her eyes, and as soon as she did, a loud scream left her lips. As Isaac suspected, her name was at the top of the list, front and center. Below her was Molly, Seriena, and 4 other girls who had the closest times.

Carmen ran up to Isaac and hopped on his back, taking another breath only to scream in excitement once again. Isaac struggled to regain his balance and spun her around a few times before he eventually stopped, a loud chuckle leaving his lips.

"ISAAC, I GOT FIRST! I WAS FIRST!" She celebrated, yelling into his hair as she buried her face in the nape of his neck.

"I told you!" He quipped, setting her down. The bright smile that was spread out across her face lit up his world and made him feel like the luckiest man alive- All her wanted to do was kiss her until someone pried him off of her. So he did.

He leaned in and pulled her close, beginning to pepper her face in kisses. She snorted and pressed on his chest in an attempt to push him away, but he didn't budge. The giggles leaving her were music to his ears, only urging him on.

"Ahem," A voice called from down the hallway, along with two sets footsteps echoing afterwards. Carmen and Isaac quickly separate and turn around, coming face to face with Scott and Stiles steadily approaching them.

"I take it you have good news to report?" Stiles raised an eyebrow, looking between the two of them. Carmen only smiled and gave a small nod.

"Congratulations, we knew you'd be the star of the team." Scott grinned, fastening the bag straps around his shoulders.

"I didn't even tell you what place I came in!" Carmen boasted, folding her arms over her chest.

"Didn't need to." He winked playfully. "Now, sorry to ruin your little celebration, but our lacrosse game is in 2 hours and coach is calling us to practice."

Isaac threw his head back and groaned, looking over at Carmen. "I forgot all about that game. Are you coming to watch us practice?"

"Yeah, why not." She pursed her lips and shrugged, "Let's go."

"Carmen!" A girl could be heard shouting, stopping them before they could even begin to exit the building. When they turned around, Seriena stood there, nervously fiddling with her fingers. Confused, Carmen told the boys to meet up with her later, and they obliged, sauntering out of the school.