3.9 : box

Carmen sighed, running a hand through her hair. She snuggled further under her blanket with her laptop balanced on her lap.

"Skittle me," Carmen commanded at Casey, who was sitting next to her on her bed. Casey raises the packet of Skittles to Carmen's mouth and pours some in, watching as she begins to chow them down.

"Get anything new?" Casey questions, throwing a skittle up and catching it with his mouth. After they deliberately snuck their way out of Derek's loft, Carmen dedicated her morning to figuring out anything she could about the Oni. She had stripped multiple websites and read multiple folktales of the Oni, only being able to pull together a few facts. Still, none of those explained why they would be tied to Scott's pack.

"Depictions of Oni vary widely but usually portray them as hideous, gigantic ogre-like creatures with sharp, wild hair, and two long growing from their heads." Carmen read from the current website she was on. "Doesn't sound like our guys . ."

"But it does sound a lot like you," Casey jokes with a chuckle. She playfully slaps his arm and continues to read.

"They're claimed to be 'Invincible' and 'Undefeatable'. In addition to this, they are also known to go overboard, or be unnecessarily strong or powerful."

" . . Is there something you're not telling us, Car?" Casey raises a sarcastic eyebrow.

Carmen rolls her eyes and shuts her laptop, letting out a long sigh. "I'm just more confused than I was before. I couldn't even read half the stuff I was looking at on those sites, so much of it was in Japanese."

"Well, what do you want to do, then?" Casey asks, "There's nothing else we can really do since Nina hasn't given us any orders."

Carmen's tongue pokes the inside of her cheek as she thinks back to the party. "No- No, maybe there is something we can do . ."

"What do you mean?"

"When the Oni disappeared because of the sun this morning, Isaac said something to Allison." Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to remember his words, "He said, 'Your dad's 24 hours are up'."

"Okayyyy?" Casey drags out, face scrunched in confusion. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know," Carmen shakes her head.

They sit in silence for a few seconds before Carmen perks up and jumps out of the bed, grabbing Casey's hand and dragging him along. As she shrugged one of her jackets on, Casey stood and watched her with a baffled expression, confused as to what idea had popped up in the girl's head now.

"We're going to the Argents' house," Carmen explains, nodding him towards the door, "Maybe there's some document or something that'll help us understand this."

"I don't know if that's a good idea . ." Casey hesitates, but is dragged down the stairs by her anyways.

"Why not? If anyone's home we'll just wait until they leave."

"Carmen-"

"You want to help me, right?" Carmen growls, grabbing his keys and throwing them to him, "Take me to their house and help me figure this out."

▲▼

Casey had parked 2 blocks away just in case anyone came home. There were no cars in the home's driveway, telling them that it was most likely empty. With that green-light, Casey cracked a window open with a butter knife and they made their way inside. 

The first thing they noticed was Chris' body, laying lifeless on the floor in front of them. There was a short trail of blood behind him, indicating that he had only managed to crawl a few inches before he collapsed onto the ground.