Elijah

.

.

.

Natalia's P.O.V

           The siblings and I sat down at the dinner table in order to to catch up, with the exception of Kol and Finn of course. Kol because I highly dislike him, and Finn because he hated me, I hated him, and well let's face it, he's spent the better part of his one thousand years rotting in a coffin so there's nothing really interesting to talk about. Oh well. Kol looked annoyed every time he tried to smooth talk me and I ignored him, but you can't turn someone who hates you into a friend overnight and with charm alone. Therefore, he seemingly gave up and made a swift exist about an hour after Finn had left. My three favorite siblings remained. Come to find out, just yesterday all of them besides Elijah were un-daggered, in a plan devised by the latter with a little help from two local vampire brothers, the Salvatores. Apparently, Nik and Rebekah had spent some time with the youngest one in the 1920s. When I laughed and asked how he managed to escape his siblings' wrath, Nik simply smirked and shared a knowing glance with the others.

"What?" I laughed, "Are you keeping secrets from me Nikalus?"

"You've also kept your fair share sweetheart, so if I am, I would say it's been warranted." He countered with a sly look.

My smile widened and I shook my head a bit, slowly getting lost in my own thoughts. Nik had always been quite sneaky, and it often got him into trouble when he was young. I thought back to when I met them. I had developed a close friendship with the Mikaelson family for the following ten years after my sister and I had first introduced ourselves. I was closest with Niklaus, we understood each other, we were alike. Both our fathers were hard on us. I never understood why my father acted the way he did, but I would drive myself mad trying to figure it out. I could assume that it was due to his tendency to drown himself in alcohol, but also because I had a habit of not listening and being untraditional, questioning him. I had also been in a very inappropriate relationship with the son of the local blacksmith.

I can honestly say that it may be one of the greatest mistakes I ever made, and that I had a severe lack of judgment. You see, my sister had recently given birth a year prior, though the child was not exactly born out of wedlock. She had been married, however her husband fled last minute before the child was born. It seemed that he did not want the kind of life which was fast approaching him, and he did not love her. To uphold our family's image, our mother and father told anyone who asked that he left to secure a better work opportunity. Yet people tend to talk, and whispers of a bastard child spread anyways. Some villagers ignored us, and though our father was upset, he came to accept it. After all, it was not Adrianna's fault, and he had enough common sense to blame her husband. While my sister was not the most well behaved, she was the most mindful, courteous, and did everything she was told.

My relationship with Julian was a bit more complicated. He had told me that he cared for me and I knew that he did, but not in the same way that I had cared for him. He was a few years older than me, and I believe he simply had a certain vision of where he'd end up and with who. Unfortunately, that vision did not include me. Even after he ended our relationship, I was naive enough to think that there was still chance he would choose me. When I found out I was pregnant, I thought I would be okay, just as my sister was. However, I was not as fortunate.

Flashback (New World, Late 10th Century)

I groan and shut my eyes as another wave of nausea washes over my body. I had been throwing up and feeling horribly ill, I was not entirely sure what was wrong. My eyes looked up as the door slowly creeped open, and my mother walked into the candlelit room, giving me an almost pitiful look.