Canada Facts, #44

-Canada use to have sabre-toothed tigers, a type of elephant (not the mammoth, some other kind that I can't remember the name off) and camels.

-Buffalo jumps were used by the first people of the Canadian prairies to hunt bison. How a buffalo jump works, is the Paleno people would scare the massive beasts and heard them towards a cliff, and because of poor eye sight, they would run of the cliff and fall to their death. The hunters would then make their way down the cliff and harvest the dead bison. Don't worry, all of the animal went to good use, the wool was used for clothing, the bones to make tools from and the meat for eating. These hunts were only done before the winter season, so the people would have enough food and warm clothing to survive until spring.

-Killer whales/orcas can be seen off the coast of British Columbia.

-(Not sure if I have covered this already) Elementary school, Canadians study Canadian history, which included looking at the first people of Canada and how they got here, the history of the Aboriginal people of Canada and the early settlers. We also cover a bit of American history that corresponds with what we are learning about. Grade nine: Ancient civilization (Rome, Greece, Egypt, the Mayans, and the Aztecs), plus the medieval ages. Grade ten: The end of the medieval ages, the hundred years of war, the French Renaissance and Revolution, Napoleon, British colonization, Imperialism, the American Revolution, and the Industrial Revolution (and every other major events in between those things). Grade eleven: The Great War/World War I and World War Two
Grade Twelve: It's back to Canadian history with the geography/regions of Canada, a look at all of the different first people of Canada to (eventually) Canada's perspective/role in the world wars.

-The Bering Strait is the most known theory of how people came to Canada (travelling a land bridge between Russia and Alaska and down a corridor in the glaciers). Mostly because that was the only science backed theory for the longest time. However recently scientists have found evidence that humans lived here before the Bering Strait theory's rout through the ice would have been open. That doesn't mean people never traveled through there though.

October 5: Saskatoon got snow today! Early winter.