Canada Facts, #51

-Prince Edward Island use to be called St. John Island.

-The Halifax Explosion (December 6, 1917) was a tragic event in which a ship, the Mont Blanc, which was carrying explosives collided with a Norwegian relief vessel Imo in Halifax Harbour. Both ships caught fire and exploded killing 1600, and injuring 9000. Because of the support that was received from the Massachusetts Relief Committee and so Halifax sends Boston a Christmas tree every year in thanks. There is also a service held at 9:00am every December 6 by the Memorial Bells at Fort Needham to remember the lives lost. This is considered one of the greatest tragedies in Canadian history.

-Before the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was the RCMP, it was called the Royal North West Mounted Police or RNWMP.

-The Canadian Pacific Railway is the longest rail way in Canada (I think, the National might be longer) and is one of Canada's biggest historical achievements, although it does have a bit of dirty history with the discrimination and abuse of the Chinese.

-Canada, being a new British colony during the American Revolution, never chose sides because they saw it as an English war that was non of their concern. (Besides the French-Canadians really had no reason to join in other than Britain now ruled them)

Thanks to Zuha987 for giving me this idea: As this book is all about Canada, I invite you lovely readers to comment 10 facts about your own home country. (If you happen to be a fellow Canadian, you can give suggestions of what I should put next in this book ;) )