Canada Facts, #54

-Sir Wilfred Laurier was the first French-Canadian Prime Minister, and he had the idea of "sunny ways", which meant he would try to please everybody. He made a series of compromises to try and satisfy the imperialistic views of the English, and the anti-imperialistic views of the French.

-Due to the English and the French's discontent with Laurier's compromising (French saw him as to imperialistic, the English saw him as too anti-imperialistic), he lost the next election to Prime Minister Borden (i forget his first name), who lead Canada through WWI.

-WWI, women were allowed to enter the fighting corps including the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and the Royal Canadian Naval Service (RCNS), as well as the medical corps. However they weren't allowed to actually fight, they were just sent to the front lines to help out with some chores to free up men. They were called "Jill Canucks"

-The Canadian army had to use the Ross Rifle, which was a cheaply manufactured gun by a Canadian business, that ended up being the most faulty piece of equipment the army used.

-The Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) was the first army force created to serve overseas in WWI, originally black Canadians and Aboriginals weren't allowed to join.