Worth It

I wake up when Maxon wraps his arm around me. I look at him and smile.
"Morning," I say.
"Good morning my dear," he replies.
I glare at him. He grins, so I get up.
"Oh come on," he says.
"I'm getting ready so we can go to breakfast, it's already nine so we're late."
Without another word I go to the princess suite and get ready.

After breakfast Maxon and I go on a walk in the garden. My arm is looped through his.
"You do realize we haven't told my mom yet?" I ask him.
He blushes.
"Oh."
"I was thinking we could have my family over tomorrow and tell them together," I suggest.
"That sounds good. So I don't have to say it alone?"
"No of course not."
He sighs in relief. I laugh.
"She won't be mad Maxon."
"She could be."
"Oh whatever."
A guard rushes over and bows.
"What's wrong?" Maxon asks him.
"Lady Marlee is in labor sir," he replies.
"Yes!" I yell then run inside. I go straight to her room where she's laying in bed with Carter next to her holding her hand. The doctor and a few nurses are there.
Marlee looks at me and smiles. She's sweating like crazy. It's not even that hot in here. I mean, the fans on.
"How are you feeling Marlee?"
Before she could respond she bites her lip and winces in pain, squeezing the life out of Carter's hand.
"Is she ok?" I ask the doctor.
"She's fine. The baby will be here any minute now though," he assures me.
It can't hurt that bad. Something must be wrong.
"But is it normal for it to hurt that bad?" I ask.
"Very," the doctor replies.
Oh. Fun.
I watch as they get Marlee ready. Every passing minute I get more and more horrified. I'm so scared. I don't deal well with pain, how am I supposed to have this baby.
They have Marlee push and the little boy comes out quick. At least that part was quick.
They wipe him off and hand him to her in a tiny blanket. He's so cute.
"Come here America," Marlee says.
I go over, my eyes glued to the baby.
"This is Kile. Kile, this is your God mother aunt America," she says while looking at her baby.
"I'm the God mother?" I ask.
"Of course," she replies.
I smile. Marlee gives Kile to Carter.
"Hey Marlee?"
"Yeah?"
"Was it worth it?"
She looks at me confused.
"You were in so much pain..."
She smiles.
"It was one hundred percent worth it. I have my little baby boy and he's healthy as can be. It's hard to explain, but he's my little miracle."
I smile a bit and look at Kile.
"Why?" she asks.
"Well..."
"Are you pregnant?" she asks excited.
I nod.
"America that's great. Oh but that must have scared you. Don't be scared. It really is worth it."
"Wanna hold him?" Carter asks me.
I look at him shocked. I hesitate then nod.
Once I sit next to him he puts Kile in my arms. Kile is fast asleep. I smile at him. Maybe Marlee is right. Maybe I shouldn't be worried.
But I am.
After we talk more I can tell Marlee is tired. I hand Kile back and go find Maxon so she can rest.
He's in his office. I go over and hug him.
"You ok?" he asks.
"I'm scared," I reply.
"About what?"
"Having the baby Maxon."
"Why?"
"She was in so much pain. I didn't know it was like that. I mean I knew it hurt but not that bad. I know practically nothing about babies."
"It's ok America. We can learn."
"I'm gonna be a horrible mother."
I felt like I was about to cry.
"It's bad to lie. So stop."
I look at him.
"Huh?"
"You're going to be a great mother. And won't being in pain for a little bit just so we can have our baby be worth it? Maybe we're a little young and should've waited a little while longer but it's ok. To late to go back anyway. We'll learn. I'll do whatever it takes to make you two happy. It'll be ok. Every day will be a new challenge, but we'll face it together every time. We'll be happy. End of discussion."
I nod and he hugs me again.
"Now, let's get ready for tomorrow's new challenge."