Little Feet, Much Love

"How are you feeling?"
"Fine," Maxon assures me.
We got out of the safe room twenty minutes ago, it's almost 9:30 PM. Eadlyn and Ahren are asleep next to Maxon. Luckily they stayed calm in the safe room.
"Do you want me to get you anything?"
"No my dear. I'm absolutely fine."
The doctor came and put his leg in a full leg brace. He said it's broken under the knee. After the brace he'll get a boot, then a cast.
"Should we cancel the Christmas Eve ball tomorrow?" I ask, disappointed.
"Of course not," he says.
"But you're hurt."
"I'll just have to dance with crutches then," he replies with a smirk.
I smile a bit.
"I might struggle a bit to get around," he starts," but it'll be worth it. I know this means so much to you, since it's our first Christmas with the kids."
"It does. But you matter to me too Maxon. You mean so much to me."
"Thank you America. But I'm fine. It'll give me a chance to just sit and talk to some people. I can watch the kids while you dance."
"I don't wanna dance with anyone but you."
"Oh stop. It'll be fun. And you can sit with me all you want."
"Fine. I love you."
"And I you darling."
"Get some sleep," I demand.
He makes a face.
"But I already slept in the safe room."
"Not very long."
"Can't we stay up?"
"Its late, you're hurt, and we have a ball to attend tomorrow."
He smiles and I smile back. I get the light and lay with him under the cosy warm blankets.
"Good night my dear."
"Good night Maxon."

I wake up early and get Maxon's favorite breakfast, bringing it to our room. I wake him up at 8 and give it to him.
"You didn't need to do this America," he says.
"I wanted to."
He smiles and eats.
I put the twins up on my pillow and outs their fluffy white blanket on them. I hold Ahren's tiny hand.
"Their hands and feet are so small. It's so cute," I comment.
"They are pretty tiny," he agrees.
"I love them so much."
"Me too."
He hands me a piece of buttery toast. I smile at him then eat it. I feed the kids once I'm done.
"I'm gonna go help make sure all the arrangements are right in a bit," I say after feeding the twins.
"Can't you just stay here and snuggle with me?"
"No. I want everything to go well tonight."
"Ugh fine."
"You're the one who insisted on having the party."
"For your benefit."
"Oh my gosh Maxon."
He grins.
I smile and kiss him. Right as I was going to pull away he pulls me into him, kissing me harder. I kiss him back, leaning into him. I start to get lost in our love, but I remember he's hurt. I pull away and he frowns.
"Maxon you're hurt. I could've hurt you worse."
"Oh I'm fine."
Ahren starts crying and we look at him. I was going to grab him, but Maxon does first. I smile as I watch him calm his son down. I have no idea why he was so afraid of being a dad. He's so good at it. He's the most loving and caring father a son, and daughter, could ask for.