Kickers

"How are you feeling?" Marlee asks.
"Fine. Tired, hungry, sore, but fine," I reply.
"You look so cute," she says.
I laugh. Cute? I'm fat, ugly, and swollen. I wouldn't call that cute.
"It's true!"
"No it's not," I laugh.
"Your belly is cute. I miss being pregnant."
"It's fat. And if you miss it so bad have another baby."
"Kile's to young. We need to wait."
"Makes sense."
A maid brings tea and cookies into the women's room for us.
"Yes! Thank you," I say gratefully.
I grab a cookie and shove it into my mouth.
"I'm gonna go check on Kile," Marlee says.
She's been so nervous about leaving him with a nanny. Carter's still a guard and he's great at his job so he can't watch Kile while Marlee is away. It's a scary job though, especially for Marlee. They actually got in an argument about it. She wants him to quit but he won't.
"No. He's fine. You need a break away from him," I say.
"But I miss my baby boy."
"You need a break Marlee.
"Alright. I just worry. You'll understand soon enough what it's like."
She smiles. I smile back.
"How is Kile by the way?" I ask, grabbing three more cookies then leaning back.
"He's good. He likes to sleep which is easy," she explains.
"That's good. He's so cute."
"I know!"
We both laugh.
"Oh America, I've been meaning to talk to you about the birth."
I get goosebumps. Ever since I learned it hurts so bad I've been scared. And I have to have two!
"Oh. What about it?"
"You shouldn't be worried. It's so worth it. Yeah it hurts, but it brings so much joy into your life. So much meaning and and happiness. It's one of the best moments of your life. Trust me ok."
I nod.
"Thanks Marlee."
Someone knocks. Marlee gets up and opens it. Carter's there in his uniform with Kile. She smiles and kisses him. I smile at them. They're so happy together. They deserve it. They're both amazing people. And now they'll raise an amazing baby boy. Kile. Kile Woodwork.

I rub the side of my bulging stomach. All day it's felt weird. Especially now.
Maxon's laying next to me reading over a report. He's so smart. Write something in detail and he can understand all of it. I think it's just confusing.
I'm sitting up with a book next to him in bed.
I yawn and continue reading.
"Get some sleep," he tells me.
"Alright. Good night Maxon."
"Good night my dear."
He kisses my forehead. I smile and lay down, quickly dozing off.

I wake up to a poke on my stomach. I keep my eyes closed, thinking it was an accident.
I feel it again and my anger overflows me. Can't a pregnant girl get some sleep without her husband messing with her.
"Maxon. Stop," I growl.
"Wha?" he slurs sleepily.
"Stop poking me."
"I'm not."
"Oh so some ghost is poking-"
I gasp when I feel another poke closer to my back.
Maxon bolts up.
"What's wrong!?"
A guard rushes in.
A smile spreads on my face. I grab Maxon's hand and put it against my stomach. One of the babies kicks right where his hand is.
"They kicked!" he says.
The guard smiles and leaves.
"I know. I thought you were messing with me," I explain.
He smiles watching my stomach.
"I think they're done now," I say.
"Why?"
"They just seem calm."
"Oh. Ok. You should go back to sleep anyway."
I nod and he lays down. I go back to sleep in his arms, thinking of our babies.