Community Cookout

"What time do we have to be there?" I ask Maxon while sitting up in bed. I stretch.
"It doesn't start until noon, but we should get there early and help set up," Maxon answers while changing his shirt.
I get up.
Today is our last day here. We've been here for 12 days. The town is finally complete. People will begin moving in tomorrow, but they're all invited to come see how it turned out. We'll be having a cook out for everyone as well.
I put on one of my favorite day dresses; a short, white, flowy dress with off the shoulder sleeves and flowers on the top. I wear my heart necklace and flats.
Maxon puts on a light grey dress shirt and a dark grey sports coat.
I go over to him and straighten the coat.
"You look so handsome," I compliment. 
"Thank you darling. You look beautiful as well," he compliments back.
I smile.
"Are you excited ?" he questions.
"Very. It's going to be lots of fun."
"I think so too."
"We get to meet everyone and see how all of the work everyone did came together."
"We all worked pretty hard."
"We did. I bet it looks nice finished."
"Let's hope. We spend a lot of time away from home for this."
"Yeah, but it got done really quickly."
"Which is a good thing."
"Of course."
"I'm ready to go home," he admits.
"Me too," I agree.
I hug him. He hugs me back.
Once we move back I sit on the bed. I braid my hair back with a metal flower clip at the top.
He fixes his hair in the mirror.
He turns to me.
"I look ok?" he asks.
"You look great. The jacket might be a little much though," I judge.
"I'm just going to wear it for the pictures when we get there. I'll take it off after that."
"Then you're all good."
"Let's go downstairs to wait for Heidi and Chris."
"Ok."
He helps me up and we go downstairs.
We play with each other's hands while we wait.
Maxon seems extra flirty today.
He kisses my hand as Heidi and Christopher come down with the baby.
Heidi is carrying her while Chris has the baby bag.
"Have you guys been waiting on us?" Heidi asks.
"Yeah. But it's fine," I reply.
"I'm sorry."
"No don't be."
"We got a little behind. She was not cooperating with us this morning."
"I totally understand. We don't mind waiting."
"Alright. I'm guessing you two are ready?"
"Yep."
"Let's get to the car then."
I nod.
We all go to the car.
It takes us a minute to all get in because Christopher had to adjust the baby seat in the back.
Heidi and I sit in the back with the baby while the boys sit up front. Christopher is driving.
We sent guards over to the town early this morning so they could help set everything up and to make sure nobody tries anything. We're going early to help as well, just not as early as them.
Once we arrive we all get out.
The town looks amazing finished.
Tables with chairs are placed in an area by the tables that have the food.
There are some games set up on the other side.
The houses and their gardens are decorated.
It's cloudy, so I hope it doesn't rain.
Heidi gets the baby while Christopher gets the baby bag out of the trunk.
A guard approaches Maxon and I.
He bows.
"Yes?" Maxon looks at him.
"We have observed the area all morning sir, and nothing seems out of the ordinary," the guard reports.
"Good. Thank you."
The guard clicks his heals and salutes, then goes back to his post.
"Hey guys," Jeremy greets as he walks over.
"The town looks amazing," I tell him.
"Doesn't it? We're all very pleased with the outcome. And we know the town's people will love it."
"I'm so glad."
"Thanks to your guys' help we got every thing done quickly."
"It was our pleasure to help out the best we could."
"Want to see some of the houses?"
"Sure."
He brings us over to the biggest one.
They put some furniture inside each house, but the house owners will have to buy a lot more to complete the home. They just couldn't provide enough furniture to complete everyone's homes.
All the houses have flower wreaths on the doors and a door mat that says "God Bless This Home" as a good luck and house warming gift. They were also given things like gnomes and stepping stones for their gardens. One of the group's that came to help donated the stuff for the town's people.
He shows us around two of the homes then takes us by the tables.
"The town's people will be here in about half an hour so I better help get everything ready," Jeremy says.
"We can help too," Maxon offers.
"You guys don't have to."
"We want to. There's nothing else to do here right now anyway."
"If you're sure."
"We're sure."
"Alright. Do you mind helping set up the tables and the food?"
"Sure."
We follow him to the storage garage close to the food tables.
Heidi and I set up the food while the boys tape the table covers on the table.
Heidi has to stop halfway and feed the baby, so the boys help me finish up.
Other helpers arrive ten minutes early. They'll be serving and cooking on the grill.
We sit at one of the tables as we wait for people to arrive.
Jeremy is having them all meet up half a mile away and walk down here together so they can all see the village as a community.
I absolutely love that idea.
Once we see everyone coming we get up.
Everyone's faces light up when they see their homes. Some people are even crying.
Maxon holds my hand.
Jeremy tells them to all check out their homes then to come and eat.
The four of us get our food and sit.
They're doing hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill with things like chips and pasta salads.
Jeremy and the work crew get their food as well.
After a few minutes people start joining us. A large family of ten sits with us.
We all chat while we eat.
The family that sits with us tells us that they are taking over the family farm. The part of their family that owned it died in the attack, so they are taking it over in their honor.
We give our condolences and best wishes. We also tell them that they don't have to use our titles, they can just say our names.
"You sure do have a lot of kids," I comment after a bit of silence.
"Yeah we do. Everyone in our family has a bunch of kids," Elise, the mom, explains.
"That must be hard work."
"Yes. But we love them all dearly."
"Of course."
Lucy, their third youngest at age of 6, comes over to Elise and whispers something to her.
Elise looks at me.
"Do you know if they're aloud to go play with the toys in the yard?" she asks.
"I'm sure that's fine."
"Let mommy finish then I'll bring you over."
"I can bring them over," I offer.
"Oh no it's ok."
"I don't mind."
"You don't?"
"Not at all."
"Well...alright."
Lucy looks at me when I get up.
"Do you want to go play?" I ask her with a smile.
She nods.
She takes my hand and we walk over to the toys.
She searches through the toys then grabs a soccer ball and looks at me.
"Do you play soccer?" I ask with a gentle smile.
"No. But my brothers do. I just like to kick the ball," she shyly answers.
"Well that's ok."
"Can we kick it to each other?"
"Of course."
We go to a clearer area and kick it back and forth. I just kick it softly to her.
Not much later her brothers come over and grab a smaller ball. They start throwing it to each other.
Other kids join in as the day moves on.
Her sisters and a few other girls come over and join us with the soccer ball.
Once they start cleaning up the food I decide to leave the game.
"Can't you keep playing?" Claire, Lucy's ten year old sister asks.
"Let me help clean up first, then I'll play more," I promise her.
"Aw ok."
I smile at them and go over to Maxon who's wiping down a table.
He looks at me then keeps cleaning.
"Hey," he says.
"Hey," I reply. "What should I do?"
"You can keep playing with the kids if you want."
"I want to help clean up first."
"Um, I think stuff is being carried into the storage room if you want to help with that."
"Alright."
"But nothing heavy."
"I know, I know."
I go over to Jeremy and ask what they need carried. He points to the boxes on the table. I grab the lightest one, the one full of bread, and carry it to the storage room.
I come back to a pleasant surprise.
The kids I was playing with all decided to come over and help clean up. The other kids noticed them helping and all came over as well.
I smile and grab another box.
Since the kids helped it didn't take long to put everything away. There's still some cleaning to do, but the staff will do the rest.
A few of the girls run off into one of the homes, so the rest of us play a game of kickball. I'm just the referee so I make a call when they can't decide.
While they're in the middle of playing the girls come out of the house and run over to me.
I look at them and smile.
"Do you guys want to play?" I ask.
"We have a gift for you," Lucy interrupts. She's holding something behind her back.
"You do?"
"Yeah. It's a gift," her oldest sister, Ali, replies.
I smile.
"You guys don't have to give me anything," I say.
"We want to," Lucy replies.
The other girls nod.
Lucy holds out a square jewelry box.
I smile at her then take it and open it.
There's a bracelet in it. It has fake diamonds all the way around it.
"Oh girls this is beautiful," I appreciate.
They all smile
"Where did you get this?" I question.
"Our mom owns a gift shop and she brought this one home," Claire explains.
"Your mom's ok with giving it to me?"
"Yes."
"Well thank you."
"Do you like it?" Lucy asks.
"I love it."
She smiles.
"Give me hugs," I order.
They all hug me.
"Thank you so much. I'll always cherish this."
I put it on.
Jeremy and a few workers bring over a few buckets full of water balloons.
I notice Maxon with the photographer by the place we're taking the pictures.
"I'll be right back," I tell the girls.
"Awwww," they all say in unison.
"Don't worry, I'll come back."
I smile at them then go to Maxon.
We get in our spot.
The photographer is getting the camera ready.
Maxon takes my hand.
"Hello my dear," he whispers.
"Don't start," I warn in return, and we're both left smiling.
We get the pictures taken.
"Where'd you get that bracelet?" he asks.
"The girls."
"That's sweet."
"I know right."
We walk over to where Jeremy is standing with the water balloons.
The kids are putting the other toys away.
Once they're done he spreads the buckets out.
He explains to the kids the rules; no pushing, don't aim for the face, etc.
"Want to play?" I ask Maxon.
"I'm ok," he replies.
"Well I'm joining."
"Alright."
I go by a bucket.
Once he says go we all start throwing water balloons at each other.
I get hit by one and feel the cold water.
I grab one and throw it at Maxon.
It hits him on the stomach and breaks.
"America!" he gasps.
I laugh.
"That's it," he says.
He goes over to a bucket and grabs one.
I turn and his hits my back.
Everyone's screaming and laughing as they throw and get hit by cold water balloons. It's wonderful to see everyone so happy during an emotional day.
We continue to play until they're all gone.
We're all soaked, even Maxon.
He comes over and gives me a big hug.
I hug him back and smile.
I kiss him. He kisses me back.
"Alright everyone. Time to clean up," Jeremy orders.
We move back from each other and help clean up.
While we clean we glance at each other with smiles and looks full of love.
This day couldn't have gone any better.