Attempts and truth

The group spent two weeks traveling on the path between the Land of Fire and the Land of Waves thanks to the slow pace that the Bridge Builder set for them. While they traveled Kakashi lectured the team from time to time on village politics and other things that were important for a ninja to know. During the rest breaks he would train on of them in various weapon, wilderness survival, or fighting skills while the others were positioned in guard duty. Naruto made this job particularly easy as he could be in multiple places at once. All in all though the mission was one big boring mess that none of the gennin were real happy to have and were all counting the days that they would be free from having to guard an old drunkard who seemed to have a large feeling of self-importance. Until then they were stuck in the same old boring routine.

"So tell me sensei, are all missions away from the village this boring?" Peter questioned the jonnin during one of their rest breaks.

Kakashi sighed as his students turned to look at him. "Peter, you need to remember that a boring mission is a good mission because it means that everything is going according to plan." The jonnin reminded his student. "If things are going bad that means that we're having problems that we weren't expecting, and that means trouble. But we shouldn't have to worry about anything like that now should we Tazuna?" He questioned, turning to look towards the Bridge Builder curiously.

"Hmm, eh, no, I can't imagine anything that might be coming up that would be unexpected I just need you to stop any highway bandits." The Bridge Builder said in hasty agreement with the ninja.

The jonnin turned his eye on the man for a moment before turning back to his students. "You see, as long as we don't have anything unexpected happen then we should be fine and this will be like nothing more than a small training mission." The students nodded at the sensei before they began the process of breaking their camp.

The group was passing near the border between the two lands when the mission went wrong for them though. They were passing by a pair of puddles that were on the edges of the border when the attack came. Peter's senses had blared at him for a second that there was danger before settling back down, but there had been nothing around so he had done his best to ignore the sense of danger that he had felt figuring it was nothing more than his senses acting crazy like they had the entire trip. Besides, if there was a real threat he figured Kakashi would have said something or at least given them some kind of signal that there was something wrong so he ignored the feeling.

When a pair of cloaked ninjas launched themselves out of either puddle and swung a giant bladed chain that linked them together around Kakashi and then sliced him into small hunks he moved. Sakura placed herself in guard one position while he noted Naruto had frozen. He caught the arm of one of the ninja and snapped him back with a kick. The ninja went sailing towards a tree dragging his partner with him with the chain that connected the two. As the two pass one tree they were all surprised to see the chain tear through a giant tree that looked like it was some 100 years old.

"Man, I've heard of being joined at the hip but never the arm. You guys really take it to a whole new level don't you?" Peter mocked the pair. "You ready to show these guys what happens when you have to go one on one with a Leaf Shinobi Naruto?" His friend barely nodded, but since he was now in between the ninja and the others they would have to pass him to get at the others.

"Destroy them," one of the ninja said as they moved forward ready to take on the group of gennin. The pair detached the chain from their gloves and swung it in the direction of the Bridge Builder. Peter and Sakura responded by launching kunai at the incoming chain knocking it off course and pinning it to tree. The ninja had used the chain as a distraction though as they had used the time to rush at the gennin. One of the ninja moved in at Naruto while the other swung around to target the Bridge Builder.