Gaara

"Sorry, we had to take the long way around because of another fight." Naruto said, shooting a dirty look towards Sakura and the dog as if they were somehow to blame for their being late. "Why did you wait so long to help him?"

"We were hoping to find a weakness." Peter admitted. "We thought that Sasuke could hold him off long enough to do that."

"Yeah, well it didn't work that well now did it." Sakura yelled at the masked ninja.

"It was a calculated risk." Peter returned, unrepentant of his choices. "I actually thought that Gaara would have knocked him out before now, but this guy has been enjoying playing with Sasuke to much."

"What are you losers doing here?" Saskue ground out as he forced his head up.

"That and I don't think that he would work with us even if we begged him to." Peter added in.

Haku nodded at that. "Yes and when we did try to offer him support fire he told us to fall back and leave it to him." Sakura looked unsure now as she realized that Sasuke had brought some of his beating on himself.

"Say, who is this guy anyways?" Naruto asked nodding toward the being that had obviously beaten Sasuke to a pulp.

"His outward appearance may have changed drastically, but he is the one that you know as Gaara of the Sand." The dog alongside of them noted. Peter and Haku's eyes widened as they heard the dog start talking. "By the way, in case any of you had any crazy ideas I'm not exactly the fighting type."

"We can tell that by looking at you." Sakura yelled angrily at the small animal that only came up to a little past their ankles.

"What do you want?" Gaara demanded, as he glared at the trio that were now blocking him from his true prey. "Wait a minute, I recognize you. You're the one that beat that Sound Ninja that destroyed the tower and that stealth ninja from earlier today." He said looking at Peter. "And you, you're the loud annoying one from the other day." He said as he noticed Naruto. And you're the one

"We need to go now." Naruto declared, turning to Sakura and Sasuke. The moment of inattention was what Gaara had been waiting for, and lunged forward.

Peter and Haku both tried to counter the attack by body slamming into Gaara, only for the creature to shrug the pair off and continuing his descent towards the downed Saskue. Sakura drew her bokken and met the incoming clawed arm of sand that was coming towards her fellow ninja with her weapon drawn and ready to counter the strike.

"Move it." Gaara commanded, as he used his claw to push her away the arm extending until it slammed into a tree pinning the girl in place.

"Sakura!" The other members called out worriedly.

"What's the matter, weren't you getting ready to make a run for it?" Gaara taunted the remaining members of the team. "Who are these two to you?" He demanded angrily while glaring at the trio.

"Who are they to me?" Naruto answered angrily. "They're my friends is who they are." He shouted back in response. "You so much as try laying another finger on them and I will pulverize you."

"You mean we will." Peter shot back supporting his friend. "Sasuke may not be one of our team, but he's still one of our village."

"Indeed." Haku said in agreement.

Gaara glared and allowed his claw to squeeze Sakura causing her to whimper in response.

"What's the matter, weren't you going to pulverize me?" Gaara questioned them. "Well come on then." He challenged the group. "Maybe one of you will be able to prove my existence."