Chapter 3

"Welcome all! This is the 2016 Mate Chase! Here we are hoping that you will find your mate. If so, don't run from them, don't hide, because that will just irritate your mate and cause their wolf to surface. So once that smell hits your nose, just wait for them to come. Now, are you ready?"

No

"Yes!" Everybody else shouted in unison.

"The boys are half a mile away, and you will get a fifteen minute head start before they are allowed to search for you!" The announcer spoke into the microphone with a fake smile and a chip voice.

I nodded, getting into a crouch position.

"Now... on your mark... get set... GO!!!"

I took off at a jog, not wanting to waste all of my energy at the very beginning. I am kinda human after all.

After eight minutes of just jogging, I saw a tall tree with a large canopy of thick, leafy branches. I picked up the pace and took off at a sprint, wanting to gain some momentum and launched myself at the tree. I seemed to soar through the air and gripped the nearest branch tightly, ignoring the splinters embedding themselves in my palms. I kept climbing with determination and heard the buzz go off, signaling that the boys were now allowed to search for us. I kept climbing higher and became faster with every little movement I made. Finally I was high enough in the branches to be able to get a clear view of the luscious green forest floor beneath me.

After a couple of minutes a huge, midnight black wolf came into view and stopped mid-step to sniff the air. I leaned further away, my heart leaping to my throat but was still able to get a good view of the huge beast. His eyes were a beautiful, icy deep blue that seemed to drown me in its depths as I made eye contact with them. Were all wolves eyes like this? I never really noticed if so. How stupid of me.

I clenched the branches tighter, my knees weak, causing my legs to lightly quiver. My breath hitched as he growled, creeping closer to the tree. The wolf suddenly paused and leaped behind a bush. A man appeared from behind the bush with a pair of shorts on that hung dangerously low from his waist.

My heart beat furiously as my gaze connected with the deep icy blue eyes of the wolf I had just seen. He had pitch black hair that was tussled messily and sexily. He had high cheek bones with a chiseled jaw that looked like it could cut through steel. The mysterious man also had caramel colored skin that looked as if he had been dipped in a literal tub of caramel before coming to the Mate Chase. He lifted his head and inhaled deeply, his gaze then sought mine. My breath hitched as he leaped at the tree, climbing up towards where I was perched.

Shit. Shit shit shit. Shit.

Looking down at the ground, I silently debated leaping down. Would I break something? Probably. Is it worth the risk? That one had me stumped. Should I jump? Yes? N-

My train of thoughts got cut off as a warm hand gripped my forearm firmly and pulled me into a warm chest that sent tingles running throughout my body.

Tingles? But how-

"Mine!" The mysterious man growled, putting his face in the crook of my neck. He inhaled deeply, then nipped softly at the area he would mark me. My breath hitched as my insides tightened, a shiver of pleasure running down my spine that seemed to run through my feet.

I have a mate? This is what the mate bond feels like? Somebody is built just for me and nobody else?

Fear replaced my steady growing excitement. What if I can't be perfect? Will he reject me? Already I felt like my heart would break if he rejected me. I barely knew this man, and my heart ached at the thought of rejection. My throat tightened as it ran dry with nervousness.

"Just reject me already." I muttered, looking down at the forest floor dejectedly. Suddenly I found it very interesting. Who knew the grass was so green? Or that their is so much life in a small little area?

"Reject?" He asked puzzled, then burst out laughing. His laughter warmed my insides, making me want to smile.

"You're so perfect. Why would rejection even come to mind?" His voice was deep and manly, making me awake and attentive as he spoke.

My conscious came awake and I squirmed out of his hold, leaping from the branch. I somersaulted forward and took off at a sprint. I can't have a mate, I don't even have a wolf for Moon Goddess's sake!

I continued sprinting, not getting the least bit tired. How was I not getting tired? I pushed the sudden thought to the back of my mind and continued sprinting. The sound of leaves crunching was getting louder behind me. Meaning I was being chased.

I remembered the announcer and what they had said. Here we are hoping that you will find your mate. If so, don't run from them, don't hide, because that will just irritate your mate and cause their wolf to surface.

Uh-oh.

-
-
-
Author's Note-
Does anybody else just stop reading a book when it's about to get GOOD and started wriggling in place because your so excited about the outcome?! Why do I do this? I'm basically taking longer to read the good part, just to look like a worm having a seizure.