chapter 51

Anna's P.O.V.

There was a surprise waiting for me, after I was home for about a month. My mother had a guy in his life, his name was Phill. She introduced me to him over dinner at our apartment. He was a kind man, with green eyes and brown hair, who seemed perfect for my mother. He cracked jokes and bought it wine and sundaes to dinner. I liked him, he could even make me smile.

And these days, no one could do that.

Life back in London was what it always had been like. Except that I was a blank person, with no ambitions at all anymore. I kept to myself and stayed in my room all the time, listening to songs or doing nothing. I ate when I had to, slept when I had to and talked when I had tp. A perfect example of a living dead.

I couldn't help it. It was three months now. Three months. But there was still that painfull dull ache in my heart and tears still stung behind my eyes everytime I thought of him. I tried to fade away from the world, seeing no point in doing anything. I tried to banish all my thoughts of him, but it was more than hard. More than just painful.

Mother had tried and tried to bring me out of the wall that I had build around myself. She had given me advise, given me time, and been patient with me. She didn't send me to school for a month, but eventually I had to go back.

Emily, as loyal as ever hung by my side on the first day back at school. Kids swarmed around me, throwing intruding questions, and giving me looks. Some admired me and called me brave, some sneered at me, calling me ugly names and some simply kept prodding for information. I had kept my head down and my lips sealed shut, their questions bringing back happy, but painful memories.

By the end of the day, people had lost interest. I was just another piece of gossip after all. The girl who had been kidnapped by the most wanted criminal. Nothing else.

I could tell Emily was getting fed up with me. "Anna, for God's sake, say something!? Don't just sit there like a dummy. Its time to forget what happened and move on, can you just do that?" She snapped at me at lunch one day. I looked at her, shocked by her outburst. Then my stare turned cold, "No." I said. She made a frustrated sound under her breath and swore, "Well maybe then I should move on. From you." She said, her tone ice cold. And giving me dirty look, she just picked up her plate and walked away from me.

Just like that.

I didn't have her from then. I was all alone. My mother had given up on me, I could tell she was desperate for me to get better but there was nothing else to do, so after work she spend most of her time with Phill. Phill came over for dinner all the time, and they talked while I zoned out. She send me for counsiling, but instead of going there, I sneaked of to the park and sat there until it was time for me to go back home. I couldn't bear to tell another person about him. About us. No one would understand.

It was another Saturday night today. I had spend most of my time in my room as usual, completing some assignments that weren't due till next week. I flopped down on my bed after finishing all my homework and sighed. There was nothing else to do to distract myself, so I plugged in my earphones and closed my eyes.

Was he thinking of me now? Like I was thinking of him? Or had he moved on? How was he?

I shook my head, annoyed at my thoughts and brushed away the tears in my eyes. I decided to go down and see if dinner was ready yet.

Phill and my mother were laughing about something when I entered the dining room. "Anna, honey... Phill bought some steak, your favorite." My mother smiled at me. I tried to smile back, but I wasn't sure if it was a smile. My mother sighed sitting down.

Half way through the meal, mother cleared her throat. "Anna, why don't you go out with Emily tomorrow? Its a Sunday and Phill can drive you to the mall."