Chapter 20

We arrived back at the Curtis house and Dallas and Ponyboy were in charge of watching me while the others went to get stuff for my unwanted party. I sat on the couch with my arms crossed. The only one not helping them was Darry because he had to go to work. Dallas was sprawled out on the smaller couch smoking and Ponyboy was relaxing in the arms chair. “I hate you guys.” I muttered multiple times. “You shoulda’ known that Sodapop would do this.” Ponyboy said and I turned to him. “Yea, but I was hoping he wouldn’t.” Ponyboy shrugged and stood up. “I’m going outside to have a smoke, want one?” He offered to me. I shook my head, “You know Johnny would be pissed if I started smoking.” He shrugged and walked out onto the porch. After the door closed behind him Dal shot up and came and sat next to me. “What’s got you so eager?” I asked turning to him. “Well I was waiting for him to go outside to tell you this.” He said and I could see an excited look in his eye. “Well what is it?” I asked. “Ponyboy likes you.” He said and I scoffed. “I’m not lying. Apparently, he told Soda and Steve that you were the girl that he was talking about the day he met you at the park and then Steve told Two-Bit who then told me.” I cut him off laughing. “This sounds like a frickin’ gossip chain.” I said and Dal gave me a confused look. “You sound like a bunch of excited teenage girls.” I explained and he nodded an ‘O’ in understanding. “Ponyboy wouldn’t like me, I’m not normal.” I said. “What do you mean ‘you’re not normal’?” Dal asked. “I don’t wear makeup, or girly clothes, I can play sports, and…” I trailed off because I didn’t want to tell anybody what I really thought about myself. Sure Shaun knew, but that was only because we were so close. “And what?” He asked wanting to know what I was going to say. “Don’t tell Johnny I told you this or Soda or anyone.” He nodded. I looked down at my lap letting my hair hide my face even though it was underneath a beanie. “I’m ugly.” I muttered and looked up to see Dal scoff. “No you’re not, heck if you were older I’d date ya’ so would Steve, Two-Bit, and Soda.” He said but I shook my head. “But there are probably so many prettier girls he goes to school with. Why would he pick me over them?” “Because they’re fake. Look, as you may know I’ve dated a lot of girls. All of them dress like that and wear makeup to impress guys. Ponyboy doesn’t like fake people. He likes you. Now he is probably going to come in any minute now, so you didn’t hear any of this from me.” Dal finished looking over his shoulder to the door. “Who knew that you could actually be nice?” I said sarcastically. Before he stood up Dal took the sides of my hat in his hands and pulled it down over my face. “Smart ass.” He muttered, smirking at me sitting back in his previous spot. Soon after that Ponyboy came back through the door. Johnny wasn’t far behind him. “Hello Jonathan.” I said looking at him. He went and stood in front of me. I looked up at him. “Hello Jennifer.” He said back and smirked. He knew I hated being called by my full name just as much as him. I kicked him in the shin but he didn’t move. “That doesn’t hurt me anymore.” He said and I crossed my arms. “Well it used to.” I muttered. “Come on, we have to go somewhere.” Johnny said and I knew with my stubbornness we wouldn’t be going anywhere. So Ponyboy and Dallas were in for a show. “But I don’t want to.” I whined leaning my head back. “We have to go Jennie come on get up.” He said. “Why?” I asked and Johnny sighed knowing this was going to be difficult. “Because.” He stated and kicked my shoe, “Come on get up.” “No, why?” I asked again. “Because I said so.” Johnny said. “That’s not a good enough reason.” I said crossing my arms. “Come on Jennie, you didn’t want to be here before for the party what has changed?” “I’m too lazy….” “No you’re not, get off your ass, come on I’m giving you a chance to get away from the party.” “Well I don’t want to go.” “Well the others have to set up so you have to.” “Then I want to stay.” I stated and Johnny put his hand on his hips and I could hear Ponyboy and Dal chuckling at us. “We’re going if I have to pick you up and carry you. Now get up off your ass!” “No I don’t want to and you’re not strong enough to carry me anyways.” I crossed my arms and smirked up at him. “I’ve carried you before, get up.” He said and kicked my shoes multiple times. “No and you’ve carried me when you were in shape not right after you’ve gotten out of the hospital.” Johnny didn’t stop kicking my shoe and knew I had a point. He grabbed my wrists to try and get me off the couch but I didn’t move. “Come on Jennie. Get off your ass.” “You’re gonna have to fucking make me!” I shouted at him. “I will fucking drag you out of this house if I have to.” Johnny shouted back and tried to pull me up again but I just feel onto the floor. “I’m not moving.” I stated firmly. Dallas and Ponyboy, meanwhile, were laughing hysterically. “Fine, I’ll just drag you down the street.” Johnny sighed and began pulling on my wrists but I didn’t move no matter how hard he pulled. “You’re not strong enough to drag me are you?” I asked smirking at him. “What pssh….. No, okay yes.” He said and I pointed at him and laughed. “Ha. Ha.” “Shut up and come on.” He said and I actually stood up and followed him this time out of the house. Dallas and Ponyboy were laughing so hard their faces were red. I guess they were used to the quiet Johnny and not the somewhat annoying big brother Johnny.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again if you think of any Christmas presents I could put for Dally and Darry just tell me in the comments or inbox me!!!!! Until Tomorrow, Stay Gold!!!!!!!!!!