CHAPTER I

Sydney

I woke up with a nightmare again. AGAIN.

Those sleeping pills aren't working right. The nightmares are also going well, more scary.

-the nightmare-

"You slut! How dare you showed up at my house, with your fucking friends again!" the man slapped me twice on my cheek. I could feel the tears pooling in my eyes again, but I won't let them fall I won't give him satisfaction. The man glowered at me and took a fistful of my hair and yanked them, that stings a lot. Then, he pushed me on the ground, and kicked me in the stomach twice.

"Please," I begged him to stop, "I won't let them come here again, I promise,"

The man laughed wickedly and got up. He took my chin forcibly and made me look at him. He reeked of alcohol, "You're pathetic you know that, you are just like your mom- a whore. There is no place on earth where you'll survive. Now repeat, what are you?" he looked at me. This was the routine, after he lost a game, he would beat me up and make me repeat what he taught me since mother died.

"REPEAT!" he shouted and slapped me hard on the cheek again. I sobbed loudly and whispered, "I am a slut, just like mom..." he smiled, satisfied and then abruptly got up and went to the next room. Taking this as an opportunity, I ran up the stairs into my room and locked the door.

-nightmare ends-

Those were hard times. But it's in the past, of course. I miss my mom every day, she told me that I would get a better life, maybe I will but only when I forget my past. But it's the most difficult thing to do, forgetting. I still remember the day perfectly well. My friends, Lila and Nate were walking me to the door. But I didn't let them in. it was always like that, I never invited them in when my father – the dreadful man was in. My father must have seen them. I worked very hard for money which could get me into a good college, but things didn't turn out well. You see-

My alarm snapped me out of my reverie. It's seven right now. I took a deep breath in and tried convincing myself, "It's the past , Sid. It will never come back." I got out of my bed and dragged myself to the shower. Though it's the awful day of the week, Monday, it's like a new start for me. I have an interview today with the head of HR department of Williams Industries. It's one of the highest ranking industries in the world.

I let the warm water calm my nerves. Damn! I felt rejuvenated. Quickly, I put on my coat suit and heels. I used a little blush on my face and mascara to pop out my eyes. Though I am not any Emma Stone or any other Emmas but I won't deny that I am beautiful. No girl should ever do that, no matter how many times you are snubbed at for being ugly or fat. Beauty always comes from inside, my mom taught me that. She died when I was ten years old, leaving me with the monster. After finishing with my eyes, I grabbed my purse, reviewing myself one last time in the mirror.

***

OH MY GOD! The building is huge. Sure I saw many pictures in magazines and all. But they don't do any justice to this beautiful piece of architecture. The insides were so luxurious and elegant. Each and every person in there screamed money. Damn! Would I fit here?

I made my way towards the receptionist. She was taking calls and typing at the same time. I waited for her to finish her call.

"Hi, how may I help you?" she asked, putting the receiver down.

"Hi, I am here to meet Ms. Rachel Mitchell for the-" I replied but she cut me off.

" The PA interview?" she asked, I nodded. "You are the final sixth one, here's the card, Lily will lead you," she nodded at the blonde sitting there nervously.

The blonde, who I assume was Lily got up and told me to follow her. She led me to a waiting room and told me to wait till my name is called. Wow! Sixth candidate, that must be tough competition. I looked around me, all the four other were impeccably beautiful and well groomed. Not to mention how they didn't fall while walking in those stilettos. The room was colored white with blue furniture. Nice combination...

The microphone sprang to life and a voice through it said, "Sydney Parker, you may come in now." I took a deep breath in, as another candidate came out. I got up and walked in. The room was full of shelves in which neatly stacked folder rested. In the middle of the room, sat an old woman, must be in her mid sixties, with a big smile on her face. She had a kind face and had no makeup on. I am starting to like her already.

"Good Morning Sydney, please take your seat," she said in a cheerful voice.

I murmured a good morning and took my seat. She started, "So, I am the head of HR department Finley Brooke and I would be conducting your interview," she must be following some protocol, since she is stating the obvious, I thought.

I nodded and waited for her to ask me questions. She asked some normal questions, my age, schooling, college. I answered them articulately, praying she wouldn't ask me the question of why I started college two years late. Well she did. Fuck my luck.

"Why did you start college, two years later Sydney?" I was tempted to say, none of your business but replied with a tight smile, "Family circumstances," she nodded, and didn't ask me any further questions. After checking my portfolio one last time, she told me to wait outside.

I went outside. The other candidates had departed, there was only me left. The blonde, I forgot her name, told me that they would call me if I got selected. I nodded and thanked her. Well, that wasn't too bad, I thought. Now I only have to wait till tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU FOR READING. IF THERE'S CONFUSION PLEASE LEAVE IT IN COMMENTS OR IT WILL MORE OR LESS CLEAR UP IN THE UPCOMING CHAPS.

ALSO I APOLOGISE IF IT WAS TOO CRAPPY, IT WILL BE BETTER I PROMISE.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT. IT MEANS A LOT.