9: Stay Positive

Stay Positive

The rays of the sunlight burning through my balcony window made me stir. I turned to the other side to block the sunlight but only made it worse with it burning on my back. I fluttered my eyes open to come face to face with a sleeping woman.

I raised a brow as I squinted at her remembering that it was Nikita Rolling. This was a first, when I woke up, they would usually be gone. Yet here she was sleeping in my apartment and my bed.

I positioned myself to rest on my back as I stared at the ceiling. Thoughts of last night floated through my mind. After dancing with an intoxicated Nikita, we left the party and came back here.

Let's just say it isn't so entertaining having sex with someone who is drunk and you're sober.

The thought of Henry getting along so well with Gabriella annoyed me. They have met in the past, but I didn't know that they're friends. Then of them walking out just seemed to push my buttons. I sometimes got along with Henry. Yes, we would have those sibling fights, but it wouldn't mean anything.

We are grown ups and often disagreed on many things, but a girl would never come between us. He is barely here to see half the woman I've slept with, if he were, then there would be competition.

I'm the only one who has an apartment here in Washington DC while Henry has one in New York. Alicia still lives with mom and dad as well as Claudette, yet they don't mind.

I wonder where he took her. He must have booked into the Clarkson Hotel for the night or something.

"Morning pumpkin." A soft voice spoke snapping me out of my thoughts.

I looked over my shoulder to see Nikita grinning at me. Her ginger hair was all wavy as she stared at me with those big blue eyes.

"Morning," I replied while sitting up.

I slipped on my boxers and glanced at the digital clock on my bedside table. It was almost noon, and I sighed in relief. I didn't have anything planned for my Saturday. I could have gone to the gym with Mason, but she's here.

"What do you have planned for the rest of the day?" Nikita asked as I walked into my walk in closet.

"Not much really," I answered thinking of a way to get rid of her.

They usually just leave their phone number on my table and leave. I've never slept with someone who stayed, in particular on the weekend.

I picked out my clothing for the day and walked into the bathroom. I shut the door and took off my boxers and walked inside of the shower. I don't know why but when I wake up the first thing I do is shower. No breakfast, no toilet, no brushing teeth but when I have to go to the gym I obviously shower afterward.

I set it to the right temperature and turned it to hot water. The shower immediately began as warm droplets soaked my body. I let the water run all over me and then put it on steam.

I just stood there as the water took over, leaving me to think about Gabriella. I'm trying to figure her out. Just when I think I'm on to something, she does something a whole lot different.

Why was she kind to Claudette and Henry but yet acted so formal in front of me? I've worked with many people, and I get along with some of them. So what makes her different and mysterious?

The fact that you're supposed to see her as competition. Your families are enemies, and the Clarkson's are depending on you, Adam.

My self-conscious spoke making me cringe at 'depending,' I don't know why I'm so worked up about this. I've worked with dozens of people before besides it should be easier because she's a woman.