28: Cuba

Song: Time

Artist: Mikky Ekko

Cuba

I stared down at Gabriella and continuously blinked at her. Her smile only seemed to grow as she looked at me then Mason. I turned to him who seemed as happy as she was. I turned back to Gabriella who features changed as she took in my appearance.

"We just came back from California," I said to which she slowly nodded. "We can't leave again; we already had our break."

"No, that was for work." She said then eyed me up and down. "D-don't you want to go? It's the first time I've ever done something without needing my family's help."

"I understand, but it's such short notice. I have work, Gabriella." I said then turned to Mason; his eyes widen as he looked at me, then her.

"Well, then Mason will come, right?" she turned to him with her jaw tightened. Mason didn't say anything as he let out a sigh then awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

"Okay, then." She mumbled with a slow nod. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out as I watched her spun around. Mason called after her which only made her pace quicken.

I let out a huff as I grabbed the towel and wiped the sweat off my face then went after her. She left her shoes behind, and I would've picked them up, but I didn't want to lose her. I finally caught up with her in the middle of the hallway and pushed her into the nearest room.

I didn't even realize that it was Julianna's room that I always kept locked but the maid must've left it ajar after she cleaned it. I only let her clean it once a week to keep the dust away as well as any bugs. I barely came into the room but I had to pass it every day. I never had the courage to even be in the room for longer than a minute and think.

Gabriella must've realized it too as she stopped and glanced around. I let out a sigh as I quietly shut the door then turned on the light. The room immediately lit up in a bright golden color. The walls were a plain cream which brought out the murals that hung. I took off my shoes because I didn't want any dirt and let my socks sink into the soft carpet. A queen-sized bed stood in the middle, against the wall with a curved headboard. Countless pillows laid on the bed even though none of them have been slept on.

"So, this is it huh?" Gabriella walked to the bedside table and picked up a little photo. It was the photo of Julianna and me when we were nineteen, one of the last pictures I had with her.

"Yes, err...I haven't had time to...get rid of things." I mumbled as I watched her glance around the room. She looked up at the murals and smiled.

"Tell me about her," Gabriella said, and my brows rose because I'd never thought she'd say something like that.

"J-Julianna?" I questioned to which she placed the photo down and nodded.

"Well, she's the most beautiful woman I'd ever come across. I don't know how she looks now though but...back then she was kind, ambitious and her laugh was enjoyable to listen to." I said as Gabriella smiled. "Yet she understood me and didn't pressure me to do things; she was always by my side."

"See, that's another reason why we should go," Gabriella said then approached me. She rested her palms against my chest and smiled at me with her hazel eyes. "You want to find her."

"That's why you wanted to go to Cuba...of all places," I muttered then removed her hands from me and stepped back. Gabriella let out a huff then raised her arms.

"Yes, because we have a lead Adam and the way you spoke about her." She trailed off then looked around the room. "You're never gonna' get rid of all of this."