42: Afraid

Afraid

My hands tightened into fists. My knuckles were white. I refused an ice pack from Gabriella and she stormed off. To where? I don't know. I don't care. I didn't want to open my hands, but I knew I had to face it soon. I had to come to terms with what I had done, what I was getting myself into, and what I was already in. What had Julianna gotten herself into? This was no burglary. Simon came with a purpose. He knew I wouldn't be here. He knew Julianna was here. He knew she'd be alone.

I slowly opened my hands, barely able to stretch them from digging my nails into my palms. My fingers burned red from the rope. The rope. The rope from the curtains. The curtains hung loosely and almost covered the entire room. How a beautiful day covered by such calamity. I sat in the darkness on the edge of the bed. Only a single strip of sunlight shone through directly on my hands. As if to highlight what I had done. I looked up at my doing and stared at Simon. He was still unconscious. His head dipped, and drool fell from his mouth. It got onto his black jacket and I wondered how much he paid for this getup. Or who paid him for this getup?

Simon was a man never without a suit. All the years he's worked for my family and not once have I seen him, or the majorityof the people who work for us, in other clothing. Yet it wasn't the clothing that eluded me, it was the weapon I found in his back pocket. A pocket knife that could've been easily used to defend himself against me. Why hadn't he pulled it out?

The sound of footsteps interrupted my thoughts. I was about to stand up but only raised my head when I saw Gabriella walk into the room. Behind her, Dominique followed with wide eyes. Both of them flinched at the sight of Simon. I rose to my feet and squinted at Gabriella.

"Why'd you bring him here?" I pointed to Dominique. "I thought you'd bring Mason."

"Mason was in the shower." Gabriella walked past Simon and I. She pushed the curtains aside where the sunlight screeched through. I felt exposed even if we were so many floors up. Gabriella looked over her shoulder at Simon and raised a brow. "Why'd youtie him to a chair? For fuck sakes Adam,I was gone for less than ten minutes."

"What the fuck am I supposed to do with him?" I raised my arms at her. Dominique stepped back and hadn't said a word. "What would have happened when he woke up? He just walks out the front door while Julianna is still unconscious."

"I'm assuming he knocked her out." Dominique pointed at Simon, then nodded to himself.

I ignored him and turned to Gabriella. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and stared down at Simon. We made eye contact, and I raised my hand at Dominique again.

"I asked him to be here. There's no one in the world I trust more than Dom, other than Mason. Also, I feel like Mason wouldn't know how to deal with this."

"And you think he does?"

"Hey, I'm right here, you know?" Dominique huffed.

"Not exactly these situations because shit, we've never been in one like this." Her eyes ran along Simon's body that gave out slow exhales, to the wrecked room. "What Dom can give us... is time. He's the best person who can stall and story spinner I know."

"Why would we need that?"

Instead of Gabriella answering, Dominique stepped forward and snapped his fingers. His eyebrows shot up and let out a bitter laugh. "Hello? Did you forget? Today is the opening of something that you've both fought and conquered. Adam... Mr. Clarkson, whatever. I need you to focus. Both of your families are making their way down for breakfast. Gabi and I literally had to duck and dive in order not to be seen."