39: Invitations

Song: He Can Only Hold Her

Artist: Amy Winehouse 

Invitations

Mason and I marched out of the building and back into the SUV. Neither of us said a word since we left Renoir. Part of me believed he wasn't the culprit. Gabriella took that photo. Unless when they were together, she sent it to him? If that's the case then he lied and sent the photo to Mason. He must've heard about them or seen them together. It made no sense that Gabriella sent it to Mason. Unless it's a test for him to see what he does? Knowing Gabriella, she might do something like that but not at a time like this. Not when her family name is on the line.

"Get Gabriella on the phone. Tell her you need to meet as soon as possible. It's urgent." I told Mason and pulled out my phone. No messages from Julianna or anyone else to ask about her.

"Thanks for helping with all of this," Mason said and put his phone to his ear. "I'm sorry again for thinking you'd do someth—"

Mason stopped when Gabriella's voice filled his ear. He turned to the window and spoke in a muffled tone. I wonder where she wanted to meet. Mason said anywhere except any Smith property. If anyone saw me I'd be drawn into the mess too. Well, I'll be in deeper with my father hanging over my shoulder.

"She agreed to meet at a pub, not too far from where we are." Mason placed his phone in his pocket then turned to me. "I didn't tell her you were coming with me and I won't hold her back if she tries to kick your ass."

"I know, I deserve it."

After Mason gave the driver the address for the pub, we sat in silence. Later afternoon jumped at us like a ghost. Every minute went by in a drag where I dreaded not being with Julianna. However, if I wanted my prize, I had to face my challenge first.

"Back at the office, I remembered you wanted to tell me something. What was it?"

"Viola Martinez visited my office this morning." I kept my eyes on the driver because I wasn't too sure if he was another one of dad's spies who told him everything.

"Really? How? Wh—where is she?"

"Probably at her hotel. It was actually your girlfriend who brought her." I turned to Mason with wide eyes. He raised a brow at first but once my gaze shifted to the driver, he finally caught on. "I didn't deserve it though, since I went along and fucked it all up."

"Yeah, you did."

"Did you know about Miss.Martinez coming here?"

"No, my girlfriend and I are new to this whole relationship thing... we keep business separate." Mason said. "Like it should be."

I wasn't sure if Mason kept the facade up for the driver or if he meant it. Either way, there was no time to question him as we arrived at the pub. I told the driver to find a parking spot since I don't know how long we'd be.

The pub Gabriella chose wasn't as posh or big as the ones we're used to. I guess she chose an average place since every news outlet had their eyes on the Smiths. She couldn't risk being seen with other people.

When we walked in, I immediately spotted Gabriella at a corner table. Her long hair pulled back into a ponytail with strands out like twigs. Two drinks on the table that were untouched. Mason approached her first while I walked close behind. The pub wasn't full, and the bar was a few meters away so I quickly ordered a drink. When I turned back to them, Gabriella had her eyes set on me. Mason took a seat next to her which blocked her view. Yet I still felt her gaze through him.

"We come in peace." Mason assured her when I sat down opposite Gabriella. She wouldn't look away from me and probably kept her hands under the table to resist an outbreak.