37: Old and New Relationships

Song: LOVE AGAIN

Artist: Daniel Ceaser, feat. Brandy

Old and New Relationships

All I could do was stare at Julianna's bare shoulders from across the table. She wore a pink off-shoulder blouse that exposed her tan skin. Her blonde hair straight down and brushed against her shoulders when she'd turn her head.

We barely spoke once we saw each other. No one knew who she was but to be on the safe side, I suggested we go somewhere else. The car ride was awkward because she stared out the window the entire time, thus no opportunity to spark up a conversation. There was a restaurant close by that was dimly lit and barely full because it wasn't lunchtime yet.

Julianna's shoulders were hunched with her hands rested in her lap. She looked like a lost puppy because not once did she make eye contact. I had so many questions but I didn't know where to start or how to approach the topic.

"So... it's been quite a while, hasn't it?" I cleared my throat. Julianna snapped her head to me and finally straightened her posture. She pulled her chair closer and began to fumble with the menu in front of her.

"Yeah... well I just saw you a few weeks ago in Cuba." She shrugged and took a quick glance at me before she returned to the suave menu. "How are you?"

"Shitty morning but slowly my day is getting better." I smiled but Julianna didn't return it. She could barely look me in the eye. I cleared my throat and looked at the menus in front of us. "Should we order?"

Julianna nodded, and I called a waiter. When we were younger—or together—Julianna loved food and loved to try new things. She wasn't fussy about what she ate. Often when Lucas cooked us something she helped him, then thanked him for the delicious food. To see her now in front of me, eyes trailed over the menu repeatedly until she found the simplest thing on the menu.

Julianna took a Lamb Salad with Fregolawhile I settled on Pasta with Lamb Ragù. While we waited for our food, I ordered canapes and wine. Julianna smiled through all of them, as if she was an escort. Her thumb and index finger moved against the handle of her wineglass. She'd often glance over her shoulder, left and right and behind.

"Sorry to start on an abrupt note but you're not really making any small talk here." I began to get frustrated. Julianna must've realized when she blushed and looked down. "Julianna... where have you been for the past five years of my life?"

"Your life." Julianna huffed out and raised her brows. My jaw tightened and Julianna sighed before she spoke. "Gabriella really didn't tell you anything, huh? She's true to her word."

"We're not on talking terms right now." I admitted. Julianna tilted her head, and I waved her off to continue.

"Well, where do I begin." Julianna forced a laugh. I reached for the wine bottle and refilled our glasses. Julianna locked eyes with me. "From the start I'm guessing."

Julianna cleared her throat and sipped her wine before she started. "Before I... left, I learned that my family's business was going bankrupt. Papa tried everything to rack in whatever business he could but mama knew it would not end well—we would not end well."

"Why didn't you tell me? Us? We could'vehel—"

"No, papa didn't want that. I suggested it too, but he's too independent and loyal to himself to ask for outside help." Julianna shook her head, and it was like a slap in the face. They considered my family 'outsiders' back then already. I wondered what we were now.

"Mama decided we had to move back to Cuba. It was the only way we'd still survive and keep our reputation. I refused to go. My entire life was here... you were here." Julianna's chestnut eyes sparkled up at me. It was only for a second until she looked down again and continued. "That night my parents took me away, back to Cuba, and they forced me to start over."