27: Spring Break

Song: Good News

Artist: Ocean Park Standoff

Spring Break

After what David Smith said, I left. My mother tried to stop me, but I said I was exhausted from California and wanted to be in my bed early when in fact, on the way to my apartment I cussed and banged my fists against the wheel repeatedly.

Again I have faced an unfortunate encounter with another Smith. Out of all of them, I tolerated Federico Smith. I haven't gotten to know Cole or Jacob Smith, but they gave off an odd feeling. Gabriella's aunt, Madeline was humorous, so she was okay.

It was Monday afternoon, and even though I was cramped with work that I missed out, even though I tried to do them in California, Nikita decided to visit the office. She spoke on and on about an important even I apparently missed, so she updated me on everything that happened and what everyone wore.

I guess she didn't mind that I didn't pay attention, she just wanted someone to be there while she spoke. From our past conversations, I've learned that I could do work while she spoke. I decided to go through the documents I had to sign later when I met up with my father.

Finally, we'd put a stop to Mr. Bloyd's company. We didn't need his services, but I guess since, the Smith's had him, my father wanted him. Lucas told me that over the years that, whatever David had, my dad wanted and vice versa. It was foolish how grown men performed toward each other just for the wealth and recognition of their family. I always assumed there was always more to the story.

"I hope I get to meet the wealthy bastard soon." Nikita snapped me out of my thoughts as I raised my head.

"Who?" I raised a brow. She sat in front of me with her leg folded over the other, we locked eyes, and she tilted her head.

"The mystery man my mother has been seeing, Adam!" she gasped then leaned back in her seat. "I've been going on about him for the past ten minutes...have you been listening?"

"Oh yes." I deeply sighed then went through the papers once more.

"Great so I asked her when I could meet him and she said that he's quite busy at the moment and I'd only see him at like...the end of the Spring." Nikita shrugged her shoulders then sighed.

"How unfortunate," I said.

"I know right! He must be a well-off middle-aged man to be so busy." She said then rolled her eyes. "Rich and single...my mother's ideal type. She always looks fo—"

Nikita stopped, and I raised my gaze to see her back toward me. I followed her direction of sight to see my sisters walk in. Alicia held her Louis Vuitton bag which matched her black dress while my poor younger sister gripped onto many shopping bags. I rose to my feet and walked toward them.

"Don't you ever knock?" I asked as I took a few bags from Claudette. "Or doesn't Mr. Forbes say anything?"

"Ugh, that guy with the glasses is like...no help." Alicia pursed her lips. "He kept saying you're busy when in fact I know you're not because Nikita texted me that she's here."

I looked over my shoulder and stared at Nikita. She sent me a sheepish grin as her cheeks turned red. I let out a huff as I put the bags on the sofa. Nikita walked to Alicia, and they greeted while Claudette collapsed onto the chair.

"This is not how I imagined a sister's day," Claudette stated as I returned to my seat. I laughed when I finally took in how many bags there were. Claudette took the hair tie from her wrist and tied her hair up into a high ponytail. She let her brunette locks hang over her right shoulder as she smiled at me. Alicia scoffed and stepped toward her.