12: The Past

The Past 

Closing my eyes once again I could hear her heels clicking around me. We've been in here for ten minutes, and I've tried everything. When I try to comfort her, she just snaps and glares at me.

"None of this would be happening if we just had the meeting at my building bu-"

"How dare you? This was just all a misunderstanding! My assistant is working on it." I cut her off as I snapped my eyes open.

Gabriella walked right around then stood right in front of me. Her heavy breathing filled the small space as she stared at me. "You're right I apologize for overreacting. That was very unprofessional I just get nervous and apprehensive when I'm in small places."

"Understandable but you have to calm down, breathe slowly," I said reaching out to touch her shoulders, but she stepped back and tugged on her hair.

"No, no, no do you have gum Mr. Clarkson?" she asked lowering her head as she took in my appearance.

"What? No. Why on earth would I carry a pack of gum wi-"

"You work with me! We work together, and I'm pretty sure you've heard that everyone I converse with has to have gum. Not my orders but my brother Cole's." Gabriella exclaimed as I scrunched my nose up.

"Who on earth do you think you are telling me what to do? Why the heck don't you carry around freaking gum?" I asked getting a bit frustrated.

"It's finished!" she stated reaching into her jeans pocket and taking out an empty pack of gum. She then threw it up and walked around me.

"Well, whose fault is that?" I muttered to myself.

"Excuse me this is your fault and your shitty elevators!" she snapped walking up and down.

"Mr. Forbes will get us out," I said raising my voice. " And can you please take off those shoes! It's quite frustrating to hear!"

The elevator fell into a deep silence making me wonder if she had gone unconscious. I slowly spun around to see her gaping at me. Her hair was all in her face covered by sweat which seemed to make her olive skin glow.

I looked at her brown eyes and saw them darting everywhere. Our eyes locked and she nodded her head then took off her heels. It made much of a difference now since I looked down to her.

"Gabriella we are going to get out of here soon. Just calm down." I whispered as she leaned against the elevator.

She closed her eyes then nodded as she sunk into a sitting position. I backed away and sat opposite her. I watched as she took a hair tie from her wrist and tied her hair into a low ponytail. Loose strands stuck out as she put them behind her ear.

I glanced down to my phone seeing that it was only 18:30 pm. Nick should hurry up because she can snap at any minute.

"Talk to me," Gabriella spoke as I looked up at her.

"Excuse me?" I retorted while blinking at her.

"Talk to me. To pass the time and get my mind off..." she trailed off gesturing to the congested space.

"Err...okay." I shrugged not knowing what to talk about.

"Not anything that we did today please, I'm tired of hearing plans and budgets all day." She added as I gave the nod.

"Alright. Will you be attending the function in New York with all the big companies?" I asked thinking how dad told me that earlier today.

"Unfortunately but at least I'll have family there. Are you Mr. Clarkson?" she asked as she undid two buttons of her shirt for air.