18

Thoughts at the end of the chapter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peyton's POV

"Gate D3 is now boarding. The 6pm flight to Los Angeles is now boarding at gate D3." The intercom said. I'm scared. To tell her. I promised her. I did. But now I'm breaking that promise. I dont know what to do. Or what to say. I just wanted her to be happy before I told her. I wanted to spend time before... Before I leave. It's for our country though. I'm doing it for our country. I agreed a long time ago. Before we were together. Because I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm so sorry Sabrina.
"Let's go babe." Sabrina said. I smiled weakly and stood up. I grabbed her hand tightly. We got in line to board. It was already getting dark. I'm gone in a few days. I'll be in another airport going to a foreign country. "You alright?" She asked. I looked up from The ground. "Uh Yea." I said. We sat in out seats and Sabrina snuggled up close to me, lifting the armrest between us. I wrapped my arm around her and stared into the seat in front of us. I let a tear slide down my cheek. I looked to my mom, who was sitting across the aisle. She smiled weakly. "I love you." I whispered to Sabrina. "I love you too." She closed her eyes and I pulled her real close and I stared to the window as the plane took off and was bringing us home.
-----

Hey.
What's up Peyton?
You wanna hang out today? Please say yes.
We got back like 2 days ago. But yes I do. So get over here.
Ok. I love you.
I love you too.
She hung up and I put my uniform on. My sandy green, camouflage uniform. With a two patches. One with the american flag and one with MEYER stitched on it. I grabbed my bag and I walked downstairs and looked to my mom. "Don't worry Peyton. It will be fine." She said. I nodded and she gave me a big hug. "I love you. Stay safe." She said before pulling away. She wiped away her tears and I saw my dad. "Come back alive." He said. I smiled and have him a big hug. "I love you." I said. "We love you too." They said. I grabbed my keys and bags and got into my car before driving over to Sabrina's house.

I stopped a few blocks away and called Mr. Meyer.
Hey Son. She's in her room. Don't park in the driveway.
Thanks Sir. Could you maybe get Sarah or someone in her room so I can get inside?
Of course. I'll see you soon.
Ok bye.
I hung up and pulled up closer to her house. I cried and stopped the car and undid my seatbelt. I grabbed the flowers in my passenger seat and got out of the car. I put my hat on and wiped my tears. 1 year. I'll be gone for one year. She will be almost 19. But she might not be mine. I'm scared. Not about dying. About losing her. I walked up the driveway and her father opened the door. "Hey there Peyton." He whispered. He pulled me into a hug and I let a few tears escape. "I appreciate everything you're doing." I nodded and wiped my tears away. "You ready?" He asked. I exhaled and nodded. "Sabrina! Peyton's here!" He called. "But his car isn't here." She said back. "He's here." He said. I heard walking and I looked up to see Sabrina staring down at me from the top of the stairs. I took my hat off. "Hi." I said weakly. I could see tears coming down her cheeks. "No." She whispered. I cried as I looked at her. "No." She said again. "No Peyton. Please no." She said very weak. I looked away. "I'm sorry." I said through tears.  The weight of the letter in my pocket was quite noticeable at this point. I looked up and stared at her. She ran downstairs and into my arms. She jumped off the last stair and wrapped her legs around me. "No." She said. "I love you." She moved as she sobbed but I kept a very tight hold on her. I love her. She released herself and looked at me. "Tell me this is a costume. Tell me you are staying." She said. I couldn't say anything. I knew if I did I would mess things up. "Did you know?" She looked passed me to her father. "Yes." He said. "How long?" 
"He brought us because of this. He loves you so much." She looked back to me. "Tell me you are just going somewhere in this country try for a month." I didn't say anything. "Two?" Silent. "Three?" I couldn't. "How long?" She begged. "One year." I managed to get out. Her hand shot to her mouth. I had to tell her everything. "In Afghanistan." She started sobbing again. She sat down on the stairs. "Hey look let's spend the day together." I said quietly. I sat down next to her. "I want to be mad Peyton. I want to be so mad. But I can't. I'm not." I put an arm around her. She hopped onto my lap. "I will be back." I promised. She smiled. I smiled back and put my hat on her head backwards. She smiled and put her forehead on mine. "I thought- I thought that-"
"It doesn't matter what you thought. I will be back. And I hope that you will be here." I whispered. I picked her up and she wrapped herself around me. Her mother walked in. She was crying. "It's alright Liz. He will be back." Her father said. "It's just that you've become part of our family. You make her so happy." I smiled and kissed Sabrina's forehead.

----

We spent the day together. Until I had to go. It was 6:00. We walked downstairs and I looked at Sabrina. "I love you so much. No matter how far away I am I will always love you. I always will." I put my hand in my pocket and brought out the envelope. "I love you with all my heart." I said. I slid the envelope into her small, shaky hands. She looked up at me. "Come home. To me." Was all she said. I embraced her and then I shook her mother and father's hands. "Thank you for your service." He said. I nodded. She smiled and kissed me on the cheek. "I love you." She said. "I love you too." I opened the door and left, saying goodbye to the love of my life.