23

Saturn by Sleeping at Last.

Peyton's POV

It is hard to go back to something after not having it for a while. We weren't going to be the same couple. We appreciate each other more. We were older. We missed out on some really nice moments.

"Peyton?" I heard a whisper. I walked back into Sabrina's room and leaned on the door frame. I put my hands in my pockets. A small box and picture waited there. "Good morning." I said. She smiled. She was happy i was home.

One day. One day it will just be us. No distractions. No one else.

"Come on let's go eat." I said. I walked over to her and pulled her up. We walked downstairs and only her parents were at the table. "The girls went out early. Come on let's eat." Mrs. Carpenter said. We sat at the table and I stared at the pancakes and bacon on the table. "You good Son?" I looked up to her father. "Sorry sir, I haven't had this in a long time." I said. I put one pancake and a few strips of bacon on my plate. My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket, the small box falling to the ground. I quickly picked it up and stuffed it back into my pocket and looked at the ID on my phone. "I'm sorry I have to take this." I quickly stood up and walked into the backyard.
Hey Jay.
What's up Peyton?
Just eating breakfast. I don't know if I will be able to stomach pancakes.
You'll be fine. So did you ask her?
I can't. Not now. She isn't ready. I don't even know if I am anymore.
When did you see her?
When she got home from work. I surprised her.
Was it cliche?
Yea. But it was ours.
You guys are my new favourite.
Hey if you're in the area you should stop on by.
Yea sure. When?
Anytime.
Does today work?
Yea. I'll let her know you're coming.
Can't wait to see you.
Can't wait to see you either.
Stay strong.
Strong as a horse.

I hung up and went back inside. "When I was in Afghanistan, I had a really good friend Jay. And he wants to meet you." I said to Sabrina. "Why does he want to meet me?" She asked. I reached into my chest pocket and brought out a very tattered, and very small bit bloody picture. It was the same picture I stared at everyday. The edges were wrinkled and the right edge and bottom had blood from my wound. "I stared at this picture everyday. Hoping that it would magically bring me home. He watched me. He was surprised that I could've been there if I left you here." She took the picture from my hands. "Peyton..." She ran her fingers along the edges. "Whose blood is this?" I couldn't tell her. But it looked like I had to. "It's mine." I said. She looked up at me. "Did you cut yourself?" She knew I didn't cut myself. "No." She looked at her dad. He didn't look at her. "Where were you shot?" She barely got out. "Arm." I said. She looked at me and seemed somewhat relieved. "Leg." She instantly dropped the relieved look. "And chest." I finished. A few tears slid dow. Her cheek. "C-can you show me?" She asked. I looked at her father. He nodded. I looked at her mother. She nodded. I unbuttoned my uniform and slid the jacket off. I showed her my right arm, where there was a scar on my bicep. She ran her fingers along it. I lifted up the left side of my shirt to just below my heart. Another scar, this one a little more visible. She cried. I unzipped the bottom of my right pant leg and rolled it up to halfway up my thigh. A scar, somewhat visible sat there. She looked at me. She pulled me up and walked me into the bathroom. She lifted up her shirt and showed me faint scars on her arm. I did this to you. I'm sorry. I did this to you. I pulled her close to me and held her tight. "Don't you dare do that again." I said. "Don't you dare do that again." I rolled the cuff down and kissed her head. "I'm not going anywhere now." I said. "Thank you." She whispered. "I love you." I said. "I love you too."

The doorbell rang and I ran to the door. I hope we it up to see Jay standing there. He was in his uniform
"Hey there!" He said. I smiled and hugged him. "Good to see you." I said. I invited him in and he looked around. Sabrina's dad walked to the foyer. "Hey Son. Thanks for your service." He shook his hand and smiled. "Always happy to serve. Are you Peyton's father?" He asked. He smiled. "Oh no, I'm Sabrina's father." He said. Jay's eyes went wide. "Like his Sabrina?" He asked. He nodded. "Well aren't you a lucky man." Her dad nodded. "I am. So tell me, are you the one?" He asked. Jay looked at me. I nodded. "Well I assume so. If you mean he saved my life then yes." Jay finished. "Well I'm glad you're alive and well." Jay nodded. "I think we all are. But I spent a good 12 months wondering who this Sabrina is. He had one picture and it was of the back of her head. He stared at it for 16 hours on the plane." Her dad looked at me surprised. "Well I'm sure she would love to meet you. Why don't you two go upstairs and get her." We nodded and he took off his shoes. We walked up the stairs and I could hear her playing the piano. "Is that her playing?" He asked. I nodded. "It sounds nice." I chuckled. "You haven't heard what she can do." I slowly opened the door and she didn't notice. She had moved her piano in front of the window. I walked in and stopped, letting her finish what she was playing. She faded out and put her head in her hands. "Hey there." I said quietly. She didn't turn around. "Hey." She said. "I have someone who's very eager to see you." I said. She quickly turned around and looked at Jay. She got up and walked over. "So you're him?" She asked. He nodded. "You told everyone of your heroic actions didn't you?" I sighed. "Not her." They both looked at me. "What didn't you tell me?" Sabrina asked. "I got shot and he came out and grabbed me. That why he got all shot up." Her eyes went wide. "Surprise." I said. Jay looked at Sabrina and his eyes drifted towards her arm. "Sabrina." I said. She looked to me and I gestured towards her arm. She nodded. "Sabrina I hope you know he stared at a picture of you for 16 hours on the way to Afghanistan." Jay said, peeling his eyes away from her arm. Sabrina rolled down my shirt. "Seriously?" She looked at me. "Oh yes. And it was a picture with the back of your head so I was really intrigued, and I knew that once we got home I had to meet you." He said. Sabrina smiled. "You always knew you were coming home?" She asked. Jay looked at me. "Well not all the time. But once we recovered yes." He said. "Thanks for being there with him." She said. Jay nodded. "Hey I'll do it any time." I smiled. "Well it was very nice getting to meet you Sabrina. I can see what all the hype is about." Sabrina laughed. "It was very nice to meet you too Jay."
"I will see you in the future I hope. Maybe at a wedding." Jay said smirking. "Woah slow down there." I said. It is just around the corner.